Our Beagle World Forums banner

Can't keep Brynn off Sofa/couch

16K views 60 replies 23 participants last post by  Mollys Mom 
#1 ·
Brynn is now 15 weeks old and his need to jump on the sofa is relentless. Other than this his training is going perfectly, I had him house trained in just over a week and he is responding well to commands. I take him to obedience classes and he is starting ringcraft training this week.

Just wondered if anyone else experianced a similar problem and how you combatted it.
He knows he is doing wrong and gets off as soon as I tell him "off" but he doesn't stop doing it.
Any advice would be great

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#31 ·
#39 ·
Yes sorry guys I disagree, I'm far from cruel but if coby ignores me in anyway then he will get a tap without hesitation.

I totally disagree with just letting your dog do what it wants. Ours knows over 30 commands, is fantastic off the lead and has an excellent recall so I can 100% assure you we've lost no respect from him at all. However There's no excuse for him to ignore our commands, we started as we meant to go on with him from 8 weeks and at 6months it's rare we have to tap him now at all.

All round he's a happy dog. Now would I rather have a dog that doesn't listen and does what it wants as I'm scared to tap him? No

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#41 ·
My Beagle is also 6 months old. He behaves perfectly off the lead and comes back every time I call him. He also behaves perfectly in the show ring and and does exactly as I ask him to. He has been house trained with in a week and also walks on my heal without a lead. I've also never had to hit my dog and never would, personally don't think it's necessary and my dog is proof of that

#43 ·
Such cute pictures everyone! Brewster is allowed on the recliner IF there's a blanket or a lap for him to be on. And he's allowed on the bed if invited. Every now and again, he tries to take over control of the comfy real estate in our living room and bedroom. That results in him not being allowed up for a few days. I love him to pieces, but he is not my equal.

We've taught him an extension of "Off" and that's "Keep Off". When people come into the house or people want to pet him on walks, or if I'm heading to the couch with a pile of laundry to fold, a preemptive "Keep Off" works really well for reminding him to keep all four paws on the ground.

Funny though, if he's on the bed by himself, he's usually curled up in the tiniest of balls with his tail wrapped around him like a squirrel. If the whole family is snuggling and watching a movie, he's sprawled out as big as he can get and pushing on us with his paws for more room. Cheeky!

#45 ·
When we first got Lucky he would always jump on the couch to lay down. It only took about 6 weeks of constant "no" for him to learn. He's allowed on the couch when invited, which is usually on weekend evenings. The key for me was saying "no" when I felt he was thinking about doing it. Once he's up there I can say "off" and he will. But if you don't him even thinking about getting up there, you have to watch like a hawk and catch it before the act. He's almost 2 and we've had him for about 10 weeks. I still watch him like a hawk. He is never out of my sight. And when he is, he's in the crate or in my office with little amount of items to damage. At this point our house is damage free. He grabs a shoe I swap it out for one of his toys. He's more of a shoe licker than a shoe eater LOL

#47 ·
Oh come on you don't want to learn about sofas? I know in my beagle house that sofa comfort for the pack is very important. As long as the pups are comfy everything is good.

#50 ·
Couch

If the dog understands the "Down" or "Off" command and you truly do not want the dog on the furniture, then you must move to the "No" command. It is that simple, you have turned it into a game, the dog gets on the couch, you tell it to get off the couch, like fetch. Using the "No" command when the dog jumps up onto the couch should start to show improvement. We have a foster dog that we have used the"Down" command with, so he knows he is not always allowed on the furniture, just like our own beagles.

#56 ·
Oh come on your not in the market for a new sofa or couch?????
Without this spam I would never know about these marvelous couches. LOL !!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.