Anyone else struggle with puppy class. - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Anyone else struggle with puppy class.

Are beagles impossible to train haha she is the slowest in our puppy class and refuses to lay down no matter how much me or the trainers or anyone can try. All they keep saying to me is "she's a beagle" she won't sit still for more then 10 seconds and won't heal. She is very good at sit though but I've paid a lot of money for these classes and really don't know if they are worth it.. She's only been to 2 so maybe I should give it another go, anyone else go though the sane thing with puppy classes?
ruthc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthc86 View Post
Are beagles impossible to train haha she is the slowest in our puppy class and refuses to lay down no matter how much me or the trainers or anyone can try. All they keep saying to me is "she's a beagle" she won't sit still for more then 10 seconds and won't heal. She is very good at sit though but I've paid a lot of money for these classes and really don't know if they are worth it.. She's only been to 2 so maybe I should give it another go, anyone else go though the sane thing with puppy classes?
Don't worry everything will be fine. After two classes don't expect miracles. Some of my pack picked up obedience right away while others it was a real challenge. Make sure for your treats you use something really tasty. What has worked for me very well is boneless/skinless chicken breast with a good dash of garlic powder on it. Just make it pieces itty bitty(pea size). It's not the size but the fact you have a tasty treat for the dog. Are you practicing obedience at home? If so only do it for five to ten minutes each time. It will bore them if you go much longer. The other thing which lots of people have a hard time doing but when she does the task correct make sure you treat her and make it the happiest thing ever. Act the fool. She will respond to the joyous attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ditto what My6beagles said. Rascal is 4 and seem1 class behind all the time.Short training sessions are really the best. I could swear Rascal has ADHD sometimes!
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

I took Cassie to obedience class when was just about 5 months for 8 weeks. There were about 15 dogs of all breeds some puppies and some older. Cassie was the only one not paying attention. It was held outside and she wanted to keep her nose to the ground and chew on everthing she could find. All the dogs got the commands...except you know who! The classes were as much for me to learn as it was for her. I repeated the commands at home in short trainings and she eventually got most of them. I can go back to the class anytime for free now so we will as soon as it warms up a bit as they are held in the evening.
Oh and yes, they said "she's a beagle"-. mainly she was just young. Keep going so YOU know how to do it at home.

When Cassie did a move in class everyone cheered!...lol
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Haha aww thanks for the encouragement I do feel like all the other puppies get it but she doesn't. Today I took little thumb sizes of sausage for her treat which she loved because obviously she doesn't get that every dag haha, I'm sure the other dogs were jealous.
I've been practicing a bit while we are home alone together and she seems to learn more at home but once she is surrounded by other dogs, people with treats and different smells she won't sit still and I can barely get her to look at me for longer then a second lol. When we did the part where she is supposed to run to you, I made a big fuss looked like a fool for her to turn and run in the other direction and then around the room leaving me stood there calling a dog you would think doesn't even know her name (but she does)
I've tought her things at home such as "go to bed" and she's great with that its just once we get outside or somewhere other then the house all training and concentration goes out the window.
I will carry on with the training and hopefully one day Millie will receive a cheer, bless her. Everyone loves her though haha.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Jesse and I left our basic obedience class after one session and went for one on one training with a private trainer. We practice about 10 minutes per day in the evenings. It's going pretty well. The class was too hard: too exciting, too stressful, too stimulating and the pace was too fast for this old duffer, (clicking, commanding, treating, praising-ugh!)
jenhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Everyone in our class agreed that Cassie was "REALLY CUUUUUTE" though. My class was run by 3 K9 Sheriff officers who taught the Koehler method. Treats were not encouraged...but for Beags yes

I have taught her what I learned in the class and she surprises me when I least expect her to. so hang in there.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Both of mine went to class and they actually did as well as any of the other dogs but without the treats they would have failed. But like other dogs beagles can learn and they can also forget. Have fun with your pup but be consistant and persistant with the training and always be the boss.
btomlin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

I can't answer that question yet. Boh goes to his first class January 29th. I don't believe that beagles are impossible to train. I do believe that different breeds require different methods and dogs have different kinds of smarts. Some dogs are eager to please and some are not. Which one is really smarter? LOL!

As I keep saying and y'all can see from my Avatar - Natty Boh is a mix. I guess his success in OB classes will depend which dog shows up. The Jack Russell portion is wicked smart and learns very quickly. He already knew how to stand on his hind legs and would do so on command. Today, I taught him to walk on his hind legs. Thing is, the Jack Russell part only does what the Jack Russell wants to do.

My vet had said, "Well, if he's beagle and Jack Russell, I wish you a lot of luck." HA! Well the dog is a riot. He keeps us amused. I figure there is no point in having a dog, if ya don't have a sense of humor. I'm not setting my sights real high for classes. Looking at it as a good time to socialize and train with distractions. It's an adventure, right?
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Talking about jack Russels as I told you the trainer was saying "she's a beagle" he followed it up with "but jack Russels are harder work" so I wish you all the luck with training her but if like you said your just gonna take it a bit easy then you should really enjoy it. Millie would love it if it was just a time to run around the room and jump on the other bigger dogs, she likes the German Shepards...similar markings and colours to her so maybe she thinks she is one lol. She did impress the trainers with how fast she can run, like a bullet when she gets hyper and playful.
Yea cassie I do get the "aww she's really cute though" and so on lol
I can only blame myself though as when we was looking for a puppy I researched both beagle and King Charles spaniels coz I love them both but decided to go for the beagle dispite all that is said about them being so much hard work, full of energy, stubborn, hard to train and always need attention or they are distructive. She turned out to be all them things but truth being told maybe deep down I would find a easy dog boring company where as Millie always keeps me busy and entertained and I love her to bits. No regrets!

Today I woke up determined to train this puppy and not give up on the classes "we will get there" the walk today is just gonna be up and down the road teaching lead behaviour try stop her from pulling and doing this weeks homework from class. She's gonna be gutted she's not going the woods or park but it needs to be done. Wish me luck haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement