Anyone else struggle with puppy class. - Page 2 - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #11 (permalink)

Beagles are very bright, and can be trained, but you have to go about it a little differently. Food is a great reward, but you have to get their attention first.

When I expect Sophie to 'work', as opposed to sniffiing around or walking, I use cues that help her know what is expected. She has a different harness and leash for going out 'in public' so she knows that there are different expectations.

Sophie was easier to train than my very large, very stubborn shepard was, but tougher than my Newfie mix. Every dog is different.
ljas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 12:27 AM   #12 (permalink)

The key is to find a treat that SMELLS so strongly your dog wants to pay attention to nothing else. The best ones I have found come in a giant blue tub at PetSmart. Stewart Pro-Treat Beef Liver Treats. They come in cubes that you can cut up into smaller pieces. All it takes is a tiny piece of them to keep their attention. Lyna did anything for me in training class even with all the other dogs and all of their treats around. Down was a hard one for her because she didn't like the tile flooring where her class was held.
aneubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #13 (permalink)

anuebert,
Is your beagle a blue tick? Your dog looks like my Jesse James.
Great photo!
I'm getting those treats, too.
jenhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

Well, Boh knows come, sit, stay, down, over (roll over), crawl (combat crawl), high five (one paw), high ten (jump up with both paws), wait (he will wait forever in whatever position I tell him, until released), dance on hind legs, walk on hind legs. But.....can he walk on a leash without cutting me off, tripping me up and almost killing me? Nope!

I have a feeling classes are going to be embarrassing. I can hardly wait. HA!

And Jenhardy, he peed in his crate yesterday. (Again!) Dogs are not spiteful. Dogs are not spiteful. Dogs are not spiteful. (Yestheyareyestheyareyestheyare!)
Natty Boh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:04 AM   #15 (permalink)

As everyone said, beagle needs a lot of work, I should say "home"-work. Good idea is to incorporate commands (and treats!) into everything you do with your dog, rather than just have occasional training sessions : make him/her sit every time you put the lead on/take it off, before giving him his toy/food. etc., before going in/out through front door, at a curb every time you're crossing the street, before being petted by neighbors/kids in the street etc. - you get the idea. At the end of the day, that is why you're training him - to behave well in everyday situations. This does require _a lot_ of discipline from the owner in the first place though

Since most of beags are food motivated, it does mean that you have to have a never ending supply of of cheese, hot dog sausages or whatever else they like with you everywhere, at all times for the first few months (maybe years - I don't know, we haven't got that far yet). But you only need to give them incy-tincy bits at a time, like filing off a tiny bit of cheese the size of a pin head with you finger nail (really, that is enough!) - and don't forget occasional pea-sized "jack pots" for when they've done something exceptionally well.

Stick a chart of commands you learned in your class on your fridge and work on them consistently every day (say 3 x 5 mins sessions), until they can perform them with the voice cue only. And reward-reward-reward. And praise-praise-praise.

And if the dog doesn't want to do something, or "misbehaving", think how you can you change the situation and use the treat to make him/her want to do what you need him to.
our own example: I had real difficulty to get my dog dry after walk in wet weather - she wouldn't stay still, run round in circles taking mud everywhere with her, would go for the towel and my hands, growl, etc. In the class they showed us the exercise how to examine your dog's legs/pows (you hold a treat in your feast in front of their nose and let them try to get to it; while they're busy, you can do with their legs whatever you need to) - so we started using this method for getting dry, and it worked, hurray!!! So you really have to think how and when all these commands can be applied to real life situations and use them as often as you can. After a while the dog will know what is expected of him/her, and will start "behaving" (prepare to drawbacks though, as beagles often "behave" on their terms - like, I will sit, but only when I'm good and ready ).

Good luck!
Tchai(kovsky) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #16 (permalink)

Well here's a funny one...when I have a really favorite treat in my hand
Cassie goes completely spaz with excitement-it's hilarious to watch...however, I keep holding the treat and say "gentle" "gentle" and she straightens up and takes it nicely from my hand...(the spaz act was entertaining though...lol )
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #17 (permalink)

That's funny I asked myself the same question when we started puppy class last week, she won't sit or lye down an even ran in the opposite direction when I called her. I'm pretty sure she gets bored waiting for her turn.

But we shall see how it goes
Lolapup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:39 AM   #18 (permalink)

I've managed to train her to sit, lay down and stand after loads of trying but she's still behind because all other dogs learned this in week one and last week had perfected it while Millie still wouldn't do it. This week she is supposed to be learning to walk on a loose lead, she doesn't do too bad indoors but soon as you step outside no treat no matter how tasty is going to get her attention. She is just your normal beagle nose down to the ground, she doesn't even look at you when you call her name. She runs around in all different directions tying you up in her lead. My boyfriend is going to have to take her to class on his own this week as I'm working, so I'm going to miss it and I'm gutted I'm missing it but also worried because he doesn't take it as seriously as I do.
ruthc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #19 (permalink)

Ruth, It will be OK. Millie will learn at her own rate. She "IS" learning and that is what is important. It is probably good that your boyfriend doesn't take it so seriously. May as well have fun with it. I go to the orientation class on Tuesday and Boh starts classes on the 29th. I refuse to get frustrated. I expect him to act just like Millie on the leash. Eventually, he will probably get better. Time, patience and a sense of humor. LOL!
Natty Boh is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement