Beagle Games - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beagle Games

Someone asked what games I play with my beagle. I try to challenge my dog physically and mentally. I do two training sessions every day and incorporate training into daily life. In addition to commands, I teach tricks. It is easiest to teach a dog a trick that seems to come naturally. I noticed my dog stretching out to reach something. It was just a bit too far to reach, so he started to crawl. I decided he should learn the combat crawl and taught him to crawl on command.

My dog has succeeded in destroying all of his toys, so he started playing with his stainless steel food bowl. I thought, "What better thing to work a beagle than his nose?" I took a BilJac chicken liver treat and dragged it across the floor to make a trail. At the end of the trail, I put the treat under his upsidedown food dish. Boh quickly tracked the treat. Then, he needed to get to it. He spent a good 15 - 20 minutes pushing the bowl around with his nose. He slapped it with his paws. He finally had success. Cheap easy fun and mentally challenging.

As someone recently mentioned .....agility. You can make your own agility equipment to play at home. It isn't expensive. You can buy a few materials at Home Depot, or you can put a broom over two chairs. Be creative.

I would love to hear what games, training, etc. you do with your beagles. I am especially interested in nosework. Please share.

Jan
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yes all the pieces parts for agility equipment can be found at Home Depot but if possible try some classes too. Classes teach YOU more than your dog and most of all it socializes your dog and creates a better bond between you and your dog. Not to mention its just fun !! I don't compete I just do it for the pure fun and time with my girls. I'm glad you are working with him. I bet he would be really good at it.
For my fast eaters and the "thinkers" I have toys by Nina Ottoson. Here is a link. http://www.nina-ottosson.com/
My house is riddled with the carnage of fuzz and squeakers from the toys that gave the ultimate sacrifice all in the name of fun. There is the Bob o lot too. That's for fast eaters. But this is their biggest "toy"

Beagle Games-imageuploadedbypg-free1358120224.055037.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I love to hear how other beagle owner's challenge their beags. If I want to entertain them for a bit outside in the yard I have them "seek" kibble that I have tossed out into the yard. They love to spend 10-15 mins seeking their treats. If its a rainy, yucky day we play "the cup game". I use little paper cups and hide a trear under them throughout the house and let them search. Vazzle flips the cups with her paws and Molly gently slides the cup with her nose.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mollys Mom, I love it too. That's why I came here. I know my pup isn't PB, but I'd like to work his nose, because that is his strongest beagle trait. Does anybody do tracking with their dogs?

My6beagles, It is so cool that you do agility. You are right about classes, but Natty Boh has to do his basic obedience class first. He starts this month. Right now, I am using the equipment to exercise him and show him what to do. I only have weave poles and jumps. (He doesn't like the weave poles much.) LOL!

I've also thought about flyball. Anyone do flyball? Our obedience class is being taught by a trainer who does flyball. I know Natty Boh has some Jack Russell. I think either agility or flyball would be good for a Jack Russell.

Love hearing the ideas and hope people keep posting and sharing. I want to learn so I can teach my dog to be the best dog he can be.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Natty
Some I know do flyball and I've been asked to run Lena in it but I don't want her doing both agility and flyball. The thing about flyball is they like a shorter dog to run with the Border Collies. They base the jump height on the shortest dog. I'm glad to hear you are taking classes they are so much fun and it still amazes me what I learn each time I take a new dog. I can't find anywhere within a hundred miles that offers nosework classes. I keep looking ...

Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
Old 01-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

My6, I was just on my German Shepherd forum and someone there started nosework classes this weekend. Sadly, she is in CT. Lot of good that does me. I would love to work his nose. I'll keep doing some things on my own.

I keep thinking my little guy would really shine in the hands of a better trainer, but he is stuck with me. He is so incredibly smart. It is almost scary, the way he picks things up. He really keeps me on my toes. Hopefully this trainer will have some ideas for him. I just love him to death. He is bad to the bone and keeps us laughing.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Natty
The closest for me is in Pittsburgh PA area during the week. No way I could make it in time.

Peanuts
Snoopy
Old 01-13-2013, 10:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Natty
Here is a link of some instructors in nosework in MD. So far none in Ohio still.....

http://www.nacsw.net/cnwilisting.php

Peanuts
Snoopy
Old 01-14-2013, 01:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for sharing your ideas. They're a great help because there are no dog classes of any kind near us, except training for guard dogs. I have read about tracking/nose training online and hope to get started on that with Bella as soon as we've got time. Just now the house-training and other basic training doesn't leave time for much else. I am including some fun games -- at least, I think Bella thinks it's fun -- into the day with the training. We needed to slow her down on the eating, so we're using games, training, and hand-feeding all at once at mealtimes. We go to her empty food bowl and I have her food in a small container which I hold, and she immediately sits in front of me, very alert and waiting. I do sit/stay with both verbal and hand signals, and she obeys. I put a little food in her bowl, and put several pieces here and there, well-spaced, around the kitchen. She waits very well until I give the "take" command, verbal and hand signal, for either the food bowl or a specific piece on the floor, and then she dashes to the food and gobbles it and immediately returns to the waiting spot and sits, eyes on me. I do this repeatedly, interspersing it with hand-feeding her a few times, for each meal. She loves it, I think, as she doesn't know what's coming next. So it occupies her mind, does some training, gives her some fun, and also makes mealtime last about 10 minutes instead of 9 seconds. Yesterday, my sister (who luckily has lots of dog class options nearby) told me about the "look at me" command, to keep the dog focuses entirely on you for training effectiveness, so I'm going to start trying that with Bella. I know some training manuals say the training should be one command at a time, in a quiet place with no distractions, very strict, etc., but our approach seems to be working so far and Bella is happy. If we're really messing with her head and she ends up with problems in the long-term, we won't know until it's too late. Just like raising kids!
1BeagleHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

hi all, I was searching for ideas for games to play with my new beagle and came across this thread which has some great ideas in it. I would love to hear any more ideas? Especially things that can be done in my backyard.

I like the idea of hiding treats in the yard for her to 'seek'. Any ideas on how to get her to understand? This would be especially good for when I'm at work and she's left alone.

She's a rescue beagle so I don't know much about her capabilities yet, although she has learnt toilet training within 3 days and we almost have 'sit' down pat. So I think she should learn pretty fast.

We are starting obedience classes next week but in the meantime I just want to ensure she stays stimulated plus playing games helps us bond.
DragonLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement