New owner needs help! - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New owner needs help!

Hello i've recently bought a 10 week beagle puppy and I must say it's a loving dog, very healthy, active and playful, but as a new owner ( my first dog ever), I have some questions I was hoping anyone could answear.
My puppy likes to bite everything, furniture, toys, hands, feet, pants, legs, I know it's like his way of playing but It get's kinda anoying when you can't even walk, and he even growls if I pull my clothes against his willl, he likes to cross doorways before me and I just tried to put him the first time with the leash to get him used and no way he would move unless he wanted to, it looked like it was choking him even thought it wasnt even that tight.

-What i've been doing is when he bites my pants and boots I say pssht! and do a gentle touch with my leg, and keep moving, eventually he stops and goes for his toys;
-He always crosses doorwats before me so I've also been telling him to sit before we cross doorways, even though he looks like a wild puppy he actually listens to some commands ( I do this because im afraid he may think I follow him and that he owns the place);
-About the leash i'm not sure yet should I guide him to wherever I want using some food so he understands better he should move How I want when he has the leash?
- And at night I don't know what to do I can't close him in the kitchen/backyard, I feel sorry he cries and I don't like it either, he behaves so well when im away from home, doesn't bark or howl, It doesn't seem fair, yet hes very active at night pooping and peeing everywhere I have a hard time sleeping

Help I need your guidance

Last edited by JohnyPepperoni; 01-13-2013 at 03:11 PM.
JohnyPepperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Cute puppy!! You are going through what we have gone through with our pups. puppies are bitey-go to the toolbar on this forum and under "search" put in words you want to find out about like biting, nipping and bite inhibition and you will find a lot of discussion on how to control this behavior on past postings. My dog was nippy and with consistent training she no longer does it.
I recommend you crate train your dog to get the housebreaking done for pee and poop.
Also keep the puppy in a restricted area or pen or room that is puppy proofed.
Read as much as you can it will take work. When the pup is a little older get in obedience class.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

thanks, I will do that ! About the puppy in a restricted area or pen room, do you mean at night only? because he sleeps in my bedroom when i'm at home...
Old 01-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi
I do not allow freedom at night at all. She sleeps in a large closed crate that is covered. You may think this is cruel but it isn't-it makes them feel secure and they don't get into trouble. Cassie has our large dining room that has a title floor. I purchased a wire pen that I can close off the opening since there isn't a door- periodically I allow her out to go about the house under strict supervision. As the puppy gets older they get into more mischief-you will soon find out if your things are left in the dog's reach. Everyday its something new-believe me. This morning I found Cassie standing on a credenza next to a lamp . Also they grow really fast so that tiny puppy won't be soon and you will be amazed. Welcome to puppyhood...lol
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Definatley crate train him. I had my puppy house trained in just over a week. The key to getting your dog trained is obedience classes. They are essential, if you got him from a reputable breeder they should be on hand to offer you any support.
New owner needs help!-imageuploadedbypg-free1358106120.403737.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
JaakeTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

I agree with a restricted area. My pup has a crate in the kitchen. The kitchen is tiled. I leave his crate open when I am here with him. In addition, I have a baby gate that restricts him to the kitchen.

Your pup will be teething for quite some time. Keep sticking toys into his mouth, so he isn't chewing on you. Nylabones are great. They are about the only thing my puppy hasn't been able to destroy.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

thanks for all the advice i've been reading and i'll definetly be getting him a crate to begin trainning him according to what I read in this forum, also getting some sort of baby gate to restrict him to the kitchen/small backyard ( even though I fear for my vegetable plantations already) and im taking away his "secondary" bed that is in my room since it goes against the message I'm trying to give him.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Never leave him in the yard alone. For housebreaking, you want to take him out on a leash. That way, you can be sure he goes potty. It also keeps him from playing, instead of going potty. And....you can teach him to go is a designated area - thus saving your garden.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

understood, but until hes 3 months old at least I cant do anything about going potty he can't go outside until he goes to the vet for one more vaccine I think
Old 01-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyPepperoni View Post
understood, but until hes 3 months old at least I cant do anything about going potty he can't go outside until he goes to the vet for one more vaccine I think
He can go out to potty before the vaccine. I can't think of any reason he can't. I wouldn't take him to a dog park or anything like that. Whenever you train a beagle when they complete the task(potty,sit,come etc) make sure you treat and make it the happiest time they have ever seen. Act the fool. Beagles do very well with praise. Please sign up for some obedience classes. They will help you more than your pup.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement