Yogi started to not eat his food :( - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Yogi started to not eat his food :(

We feed him nutro natural choice for 6mos - 2 years dogs. We feed him 1.5 cups in the morning and 1.5 in the evening. He was inhaling it and sometimes regurgitating so i put a kong in his dish that he would have to eat around. He did eat around it fine. Now hes turning his head, sniffing it and walking away, and just not eating. Should I be doing something else or be worried?
silent mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

My dog also inhales his food. I have been hand feeding him. He must sit and watch my hand, and then I put a few pieces at a time in his bowl. He still eats those few pieces fast, but he is not going to eat so much that he throws it back up.

Is this the first day that Yogi hasn't eaten? Did you recently start a new bag of food? Will Yogi eat anything else - a treat, a piece of meat? Is he going to the bathroom and are his stools normal? Is there any chance he swallowed something he shouldn't have? Is he acting sick or in pain? If he continues to have no interest in food, I would definitely make a trip to the vet. Better safe than sorry.

Please keep us posted.

Jan
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

he seems normal, wagging his tail etc....she took him to a friends that have 2 jack russells on sunday night, he was exhausted all day yesterday cuz they were out til 2am....he doesnt seem in pain, stools seem normal, but he usually puts his face in the bowl until its finished.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

He might have a tummy ache from something he ingested on his play date. Try giving him a treat that he would normally love and see if he turns that down too. if he continues to not eat, I would call the vet. But dogs are smart and will not eat if their stomach is feeling sick.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

ah yes! he was fed people food that he would normally not get (aside from cooked chicken or turkey in his bowl)...so maybe hes not feelin too great
Old 01-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent mike View Post
We feed him nutro natural choice for 6mos - 2 years dogs. We feed him 1.5 cups in the morning and 1.5 in the evening. He was inhaling it and sometimes regurgitating so i put a kong in his dish that he would have to eat around. He did eat around it fine. Now hes turning his head, sniffing it and walking away, and just not eating. Should I be doing something else or be worried?
How long is he not eating? 3 days = vet check. Make sure he is drinking, that is a little more important then eating.
Set feeding times, no free feeding. Put food don 15 minutes, pull up. Feed again at night.

I agree though, do not force him incase he is not feeling good.

Also check the food. Sometimes there is a mold on kibble that can kill a dog. If he smells this many dogs wont eat it and that is the first sign. You can usaly smell a rancid smell, take the food back if that is the case and try a fresh bag.
Prevention is Kinder then Destruction. Spay and Neuter. BE EDUCATED. If you breed, breed RESPONSIBLY 8,109 homeless beagles on Petfinder right now. Why are their breeders not stepping up? http://www.wonderpuppy.net/1breeding.php
Research, All I can do is open new doors for you to explore. Act and buy responsibly, your choice is the future of the breed. http://www.learntobreed.com/

New Vaccine standards! Miss Bones 2002-2010
brandypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

he ate all of his dinner last night and chewed it up! I think that kong being in there for a week or so has helped. Probably just didnt feel well from the night before (hungover haha)..
Old 01-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yay!
jenhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

That's great!
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

so he appears healthy, energetic, etc. He devours all of his dinner...but now hes started to not eat breakfast...is this common?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement