Anyone have a growly Beagle? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anyone have a growly Beagle?

Granted, my pup is a mix. I did, however, have a growly PB Beagle growing up. I admit my PB Beagle was neurotic. At any rate, my current puppy growls a lot. He growls when he plays with us and when he plays with other dogs. I don't have a problem with "play" growling. BUT....He also growls when he doesn't like something. Sometimes, he doesn't want to be picked up, or told he has to move from where he is, or go in his crate, or leave something alone.

I am working on this and it is improving. Some of the growling is resource guarding and that that is coming along very well. The "I don't want to do something" growling is a bit harder. He doesn't growl at my husband or me. He growls at my 23 and 19 year old girls. I think he sees them more as his equals and doesn't think he has to listen to them.

Any insight or suggestions?

Thanks,
Jan
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty Boh View Post
He doesn't growl at my husband or me. He growls at my 23 and 19 year old girls. I think he sees them more as his equals and doesn't think he has to listen to them.
My Brodie is the same, not the growling, but she nips at my sons' clothes and never does it to me or my husband. I tell my kids that they have to be the boss of her too and not sit on the floor with her or allow her to feel in charge of them. I'd be interested in anyone's advice as well.
Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, Boh nips at my kids clothes too. They also sit on the floor with him and let him sit in their laps. How do we train our kids? As I said, They are 23 and 19 - in college. I say no floor, no laps, no beds. I have been doing "Mind Games" with him. I posted the link in another thread. It has steps like....Hand feed the dog, Claim his space, Make him stay by your side for 30 minutes a day. I see a lot of improvement, since I have implemented this. I really don't like the - not playing growling and would not like him to decide to bite.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

If it's a resource thing then demonstrate that you own it...I have a little step stool in the pen and my Beag likes to sit on it..when I'm in the pen I tell her "Off" and I sit on it. Making your dog move out of your way instead of you going around or over helps. Try growling back...grrrrrr! it will probably take them by surprise and stop...it worked on Cassie.
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rascal grunts!
Sounds like a little pig. lol
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Lucy doesn't like to be woken up. She gets very grumpy if she is disturbed while sleeping. She snarled at my aunt when we first got her. Once she was asleep under the covers of my bed and my cat jumped on her. She came out of the blankets like a shark! That cat didn't come back on my bed for at least a year. When she is awake she is the most mellow dog on the planet but don't wake the baby!
Kapoohski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

The only time my beagle growls is at our kitten, although they tent to play too, it's a love hate relationship.

I took this video of her this morning eating breakfast with the cats...lol

Cats and Beagle Dog Eating Breakfast Together - YouTube
dale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the input guys. I think the biggest problem with Natty Boh is that my kids lack the confidence to implement the required steps. Again - "Boh" doesn't growl at my husband or me - just them. I am starting to get them to adhere to the rules. Not sure I can explain this well, but the problem growling is Boh not wanting to do something, or have something done to him. EX/ Being picked up, made to go into the crate, or kitchen, told to stop what he is doing. I don't consider these things so much resource guarding. What I am trying to do is desensitize him to the things he doesn't like. Then, I have the kids copy what I do. I really am seeing progress. He has been much better with them.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty Boh View Post
Granted, my pup is a mix. I did, however, have a growly PB Beagle growing up. I admit my PB Beagle was neurotic. At any rate, my current puppy growls a lot. He growls when he plays with us and when he plays with other dogs. I don't have a problem with "play" growling. BUT....He also growls when he doesn't like something. Sometimes, he doesn't want to be picked up, or told he has to move from where he is, or go in his crate, or leave something alone.

I am working on this and it is improving. Some of the growling is resource guarding and that that is coming along very well. The "I don't want to do something" growling is a bit harder. He doesn't growl at my husband or me. He growls at my 23 and 19 year old girls. I think he sees them more as his equals and doesn't think he has to listen to them.

Any insight or suggestions?

Thanks,
Jan
First thing to know is never punish a growl. He is talking to you. Instead learn what is stressing him and work with him to make it better. With sociliastion, more excersise, walking, sniffing mnd activity obed class ect.

Also he could be in pain or have a medical condition. Growling and bad behavior are often the first signs. So have a complete CBC and thyroid check from the vet to make sure.

Peaceable Paws

Understanding Dog Growling and Dog Language - Whole Dog Journal Article
Prevention is Kinder then Destruction. Spay and Neuter. BE EDUCATED. If you breed, breed RESPONSIBLY 8,109 homeless beagles on Petfinder right now. Why are their breeders not stepping up? http://www.wonderpuppy.net/1breeding.php
Research, All I can do is open new doors for you to explore. Act and buy responsibly, your choice is the future of the breed. http://www.learntobreed.com/

New Vaccine standards! Miss Bones 2002-2010
brandypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thank you brandypup. I know not to correct the growl so he goes right to the bite. I am working to desensitize him to the things he doesn't like, so he doesn't growl. He isn't in pain and doesn't have a medical condition. He doesn't growl at me. He growls at my kids. I don't want it to go from a growl to a bite. I am having them incorporate the techniques I am using and Natty Boh is doing very well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement