1st Class Last night... - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1st Class Last night...

And Rascal did very well. She will do sit and sit to wait for her bowl. We didn't quite get to lie down. Too many distractions. We will have to work on that at home.
Good session. I look forward to the rest of the classes. We all were tired when we came home.
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Please update us on your classes. I'll be starting Natty Boh soon. He needs to learn to listen when I DON'T have a treat in my hand. Is it even possible to teach a hound to walk nicely on a leash?

Thanks,
Jan
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hi Techie
I taught Cassie to lie down by saying only..."Down" while pointing to the ground, put the treat at her nose and bring it straight down to the ground...if she went even a little down I would praise and give the treat. Cassie does the down position readily now...she's funny though sometimes she wants to cheat and only go half way but I point down and she goes flat!
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think ALL owners and dogs benefit from classes. One thing the teacher said that impressed me was that the owners have to be patient and the dogs may do better where there aren't as many distractions. I would swear that Rascal has ADHD lol!
techie
Old 01-08-2013, 06:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

I heartily agree with classes for beagles! Bella was giving us fits, she just would NOT listen. The classes taught me how teach her. She did flunk following offleash, though. The instructor told each owner to have another person hold their dog, then trot ahead a bit and call the dog in a happy voice, at which point the dog was released. I TOLD her Bella wouldn't do it, but she said, "You'll be surprised," so my daughter went off and called her, and I let Bella go, and Bella took off at roughly light speed, did a big joyous loop of the yard, THEN went to my daughter. She does always return, but she's GOTTA do that loop. We don't let her off leash in unfenced areas because if that loop happens to include a busy road, she'll run right into traffic (haven't tested that one, but I know my dog).
Hsaiotei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Rascal has developed great recall this week my husband has had her out twice in unfenced fields. Sit and down are not going as well. I think her previous owners taught her to sit briefly then bark for her food and we are not getting that trained out of her.
techie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement