Jealousy! - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Jealousy!

Hello everyone. My 1 year old beagle Bentley is starting to get very jealous. He has a stuffed chicken which is his favorite toy. He's been in love with it since he was about 5 months. He caries it around in his mouth. Recently when the chicken is in eye view if one of our other dogs or cats are near, not even going for the toy, Bentley freaks out and attacks them. He also does it with food sometimes. We aren't exactly sure what to do about this. We try to keep them up or outside when we are eating and keep him separate when we feed him. But now he's is getting worse with his chicken. We are trying to avoid keeping him away from his chicken because he loves it so much. Is this something that overtime he will stop? Any ideas of how we can teach him this isn't acceptable?Jealousy!-imageuploadedbypg-free1357236857.064532.jpg Bentley and his chicken

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Arc83089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

This isn't jealousy. This is resource guarding. Does Bentley resource guard with people too, or just other dogs?
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Just dogs and cats.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mind Games (version 1.0) by M. Shirley Chong

This a link to Mind Games. I am currently using it with my puppy, who also has some resource guarding issues. It is similar to NILF (Nothing in Life is Free.) Bentley should always be fed away from the other dogs - his crate would be a safe place. Sadly, I think the chicken will have to go. Chicken has become an obsession and that is not good. At the very least, Bentley cannot have chicken around the other dogs. Perhaps chicken could be a "crate" only toy.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Is Bentley neutered yet?
Hsaiotei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yes he is.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App
Old 01-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

So we have been keeping chicken in the kennel and up from Bentley except for certain times of the day when we play with him. This is helping except for now at night Bentley gets the same way with me. If one of the dogs come lay next to me he starts growling and going after them. How can we teach Bentley that he can not behave like this?

Old 01-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Did you check out the "Mind Games" link I posted above? I am working on this with Natty Boh, who is about 6 months old. Bentley is now resource guarding you. That is not OK. Natty Boh resource guards spaces - laps, furniture, some toys. I have older kids - 23, 19 and 14. He doesn't growl at me, but he growls at them.

Incorporating mind games really is helping. It was recommended by a friend who runs a rescue. Look through the steps and start to implement them. You can modify them to suit your need. I will do some research specifically for resource guarding a person and post back.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

I did look at the link above and it was very helpful for when he guards chicken. Thank you

Old 01-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

It will help with him resource guarding you too, but I will talk to one of my rescue friend's who had this problem with two German Shepherds. The foster dog was resource guarding her from the resident dog. I will find out what worked for her.

Could you possibly provide some additional information? How many dogs do you have? What are their breeds, sexes and ages? That may, or may not matter, but just in case. Oh - and is this resource guarding of you only happening at night?

Thank you,
Jan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement