Jealousy! - Page 2 - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 10:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

I copied what my friend did when her dog Tessa was resource guarding her from the other dog.

As for the resource guarding. First, they need to be doing NILIF with him.

Then have both dogs sit in front of her. Start petting both. The SECOND the beagle starts to resource guard, the very second, all attention stops. She gets up and walks away. This will probably need to be done several times a day. The dog will eventually learn that the behavior causes him to NOT get what he wants. Once he stops, and he should, depending on how quickly he catches on will depend on how long it takes. Tessa caught on real quick. Then do it from a standing position, different places in the house. Also start to add in petting of both. Pet one and then the other. That shows that just because one dog is getting attention, it doesn't mean the other won't.

Good luck! Let me know how it works out!

Are you familiar with NILIF? It stands for Nothing in Life is Free. The dog must earn everything he receives. If not, I will find a link for you.
Jan
Natty Boh is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 11:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

Nothing in Life is Free

Found the link. Good luck!
Old 01-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc83089 View Post
Hello everyone. My 1 year old beagle Bentley is starting to get very jealous. He has a stuffed chicken which is his favorite toy. He's been in love with it since he was about 5 months. He caries it around in his mouth. Recently when the chicken is in eye view if one of our other dogs or cats are near, not even going for the toy, Bentley freaks out and attacks them. He also does it with food sometimes. We aren't exactly sure what to do about this. We try to keep them up or outside when we are eating and keep him separate when we feed him. But now he's is getting worse with his chicken. We are trying to avoid keeping him away from his chicken because he loves it so much. Is this something that overtime he will stop? Any ideas of how we can teach him this isn't acceptable?Attachment 8091 Bentley and his chicken

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Yes resource guarding. The best thing to do is to not leave things to guard out and only give at certain times in the crate. It can be trained to have better manners but you also have to keep the temptations away for best results.

How to React When Your Dog Begins Resource Guarding Against Other Dogs - Whole Dog Journal Article
Prevention is Kinder then Destruction. Spay and Neuter. BE EDUCATED. If you breed, breed RESPONSIBLY 8,109 homeless beagles on Petfinder right now. Why are their breeders not stepping up? http://www.wonderpuppy.net/1breeding.php
Research, All I can do is open new doors for you to explore. Act and buy responsibly, your choice is the future of the breed. http://www.learntobreed.com/

New Vaccine standards! Miss Bones 2002-2010
brandypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

Thank you. I have 4 other dogs. A lab which will be a year march 1, and 3 chihuahuas, one is 3, one Is 4, and one is 7. He also does is with the cats sometimes as well. I will try the links you provided thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App
Arc83089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

You are so welcome. My goodness. You have your hands full.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement