Continuous pee-ing - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Continuous pee-ing

We are very frustrated with house-training Bella, now 5 months old. She pees and poops when we take her out, and we take her out frequently, and always wait until she goes before taking her back in the house, and reward her outside, but she just keeps pee-ing in the house, often only a few minutes after being outside. And then again and again, often less than half an hour later. It really seems like more is coming out than is going in. Someone suggested we take up the newspaper because we had initially been praising her for going on the paper, so we did that, but then she just pees on the tile floor. If we put the paper down again, she pees on the paper. Should we stop putting paper down altogether and shout at her if we catch her pee-ing inside? Also, we aren't shouting at her if we catch her pooping inside, because we're trying to stop her eating her poop (tried everything suggested and nothing worked) and we're afraid if we shout at her, she'll just work faster to "hide" the evidence. But maybe it's time to start reprimanding her for pee-ing and pooping in the house? Any suggestions?
1BeagleHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

First thing I would do is take a urine sample to the vet if you have not done so yet. It almost sounds like she has a urinary infection. My female beagles tend to get them more than my males did. If she is not sick, then yes, I would pick up the papers and clean that area with a special cleaner just for pet urine. If she still goes there don't make a HUGE deal about it but correct her and take her right out and say "pp outside" or whatever term you use.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

If there is no urinary infection you can expect this for awhile longer as puppies have small bladders. I was pretty much at my wits end like you. At 9 months (YES I SAID 9 MONTHS) she suddenly consistently peed only outside. I do have one thing in my favor is that she has free access to the patio and can come and go as needed. She will stop playing and run outsie to pee and poop. It takes a lot of patience but it will happen. The most frustrating thing is when you read "how to house break your puppy in one week"...yaaaah riiiight! I can't tell you how many rolls of paper towels I went through. we had stacks of paper towels in the garage-my husband thought I was nuts and said we have enough for a flood--well he was right...lol

One thing I did was use a clicker each time she peed and pooped outside with a tiny treat..no treat when done inside. make sure you clean the pee scent with something like nature's miracle or vinegar and water (nothing that contains amonia
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

I agree with Cheryl. A vet check is definitely in order to rule out a UTI. Definitely pick up the newspapers. That is confusing to Bella. I adopted my puppy from a shelter in October. He was about 4 months old. I'd like to say he is housebroken, but every time I think he is, he has an accident. It has been about 2 weeks, since his last accident, so fingers crossed.

"Boh" had been adopted out and returned to the shelter, before I adopted him. Apparently, his previous owner attempted to paper train him. Not knowing that, I put paper in his crate. He would actually go into his crate to pee. OOPS. No more paper.

When I can't watch Boh, he is confined to his crate, which is in the kitchen. When I am sitting here, I leave his crate open and he has access to the tiled kitchen. I have a baby gate blocking access to the rest of the house. He has three bowel movements a day - morning, after breakfast, and after dinner. I keep him on a leash to go potty - even in the yard. He is learning to go in his designated area. I am able to make sure he goes and clean up quickly.

Is Bella being confined to a small area? She should have very limited access inside the home. You can tether her to you, so she is always by your side. If she starts to go potty inside, you can say, "no" and take her outside quickly. When she goes outside....Praise, praise, praise. Reprimanding Belle will only cause harm. She may hold back from eliminating, increase eating her feces, and start submissive urination.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Continuous pee-ing

Wow! You are all a fantastic resource. (And I notice you are the same folks responding to my other post about how much to feed, so thanks again!) Based on your comments, we are going to speak with the vet Monday about getting Bella checked for a UTI. In reply to the question about Bella's space-- she is confined to the kitchen, and has both bed and crate, but the kitchen is big and is unfortunately open to the sitting room, which has no door, just a large archway. I went today to order an extra-wide gate to keep Bella out of the sitting room. It's her favorite place to go pee and poop (and eat it) because I am normally in the kitchen and can't see her in part of the sitting room. So that's a problem. Fortunately, it's all tile. I have started crating her whenever I leave the room, because of the poop eating. She's happy in her crate. I also crate her when we have to leave the house. The longest she's been in during the day was just over three hours, and she stays clean and dry then so I didn't consider a UTI. She stays dry at night for about 6-7 hours. She goes to her crate voluntarily around 9pm, but we take her out of the crate around midnight and put her on a paper to pee, otherwise she wets herself before we wake her at 7am for first walk. But it's really like she's sleepwalking when we wake her to pee; it's so funny and cute, and then she just staggers back into her crate and immediately sleeps. Last night, she wet herself in the crate after only 2 1/2 hours, which was unusual. It's difficult to rush her outside if she starts to go in the house, because we're on the third floor. Also, we're at the base of a mountain on a dead-end street surrounded by forest, and there are rabbits and foxes (fox and hound, haha!), so lots of reasons not to pop down there with Bella at midnight or 3am as I read that some folks are doing with the puppies. There are big balconies we can let her out on, but thus far she's declined to pee or poop on paper on the balcony; much more interested in investigating the potted plants, etc. So, we'll see what the vet says. Meantime, we'll keep up the wildly enthusiastic praise and treats when Bella gets it right outside, and we'll only look disappointedly in her direction when she gets it wrong inside. And I'll look into clicker training. Sure will cut down on the number of healthful home-baked puppy treats we're going through at present. Happy new year to all of you and your hounds!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

I feel your pain. I began the thread HOUSEBREAKING BLUES.

My dog is much older, like 2 or 3 and is not housebroken. He, too, goes outside regularly on a schedule and is often very successful. But, we, too, get the random pee in odd places, different places and at odd times.

He can go through the night, from 11 to 6:30. But, he, too, will pee in his crate and on his dog beds and just lay in it. Everyone says dogs won't do that, but they do. My dog does not poop in the house, thank goodness.

One thing funny about Jesse is that he HATES to get up in the morning (although he needs to.) I have to drag him out of bed, and drag him downstairs and outside. Once out, he goes right away, so I know he needs to go. If I let us sleep in, even a little bit, until 7am or so-too late. He pees the bed.

I think housebreaking is much harder and takes much longer than people say. I remember trying to house train my lab years ago. It took months and everyone was surprised. I thought she had a learning disability. Treats worked for her. But treats don't work for Jesse as he refuses them about half the time. Weird, isn't it? A beagle that refuses food!
jenhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Sounds like your going though the same insane frustration as me. Fingers crossed they will pick it up soon, Millie also likes to eat her own poop but she is either growing our if it or has gone off it a bit because she doesn't eat the poop outside anymore.
ruthc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Frustrating isn't it?

My four month old Max pees like ten times a day it seems, poos at least three to four times a day, and only a fraction of those outside. We got him a week ago and thought were making progress, as the frequency of going outside bettered the use of wee wee pads, but since moving him downstairs in the kitchen he started doing his business inside and more frequently. Sometimes we go outside and stay as long as is bearable (cold and he gets bored) and he pees as soon as he runs into the house often to the dumbfounded response: "are you kidding me?"

He seems extremely frustrated with the gates too, whining and pushing on them whenever anyone is in the house which didn't seem to happen upstairs. But he needs to learn that his place will be in the kitchen.

Hopefully it doesn't take too long for him to learn.
TrueBlueFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BeagleHouse View Post
We are very frustrated with house-training Bella, now 5 months old. She pees and poops when we take her out, and we take her out frequently, and always wait until she goes before taking her back in the house, and reward her outside, but she just keeps pee-ing in the house, often only a few minutes after being outside. And then again and again, often less than half an hour later. It really seems like more is coming out than is going in. Someone suggested we take up the newspaper because we had initially been praising her for going on the paper, so we did that, but then she just pees on the tile floor. If we put the paper down again, she pees on the paper. Should we stop putting paper down altogether and shout at her if we catch her pee-ing inside? Also, we aren't shouting at her if we catch her pooping inside, because we're trying to stop her eating her poop (tried everything suggested and nothing worked) and we're afraid if we shout at her, she'll just work faster to "hide" the evidence. But maybe it's time to start reprimanding her for pee-ing and pooping in the house? Any suggestions?
Walk her.
Dont jut take her outside to pee, reward her with a walk.
Walk her about 15 mnutes after she pees.

Paper in the house is telling her it's ok to pee in the house. If you want he to pee outside it has to be outside or nothing.

Take her out every 20 minutes around the clock and adjust as needed for no accidents.

If she has time to eat her poop then it's n the ground too long.

Potty Training Your Dog and How to Handle Accidents in The House - Whole Dog Journal Article
Prevention is Kinder then Destruction. Spay and Neuter. BE EDUCATED. If you breed, breed RESPONSIBLY 8,109 homeless beagles on Petfinder right now. Why are their breeders not stepping up? http://www.wonderpuppy.net/1breeding.php
Research, All I can do is open new doors for you to explore. Act and buy responsibly, your choice is the future of the breed. http://www.learntobreed.com/

New Vaccine standards! Miss Bones 2002-2010
brandypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

We are rewarding her with a walk. Maybe I didn't say that. We go out to her spot, and once she goes there (which happens immediately on the first morning walk at 7:15, both pee and poop) we go for a long walk, at least 20 minutes and often up to 45 or even an hour. She gets to run around in the woods (on her lead), meet other dogs, see birds and people. Usually she will pee another time. Back in the house, no paper on the floor, she will sometimes immediately pee again. After about two hours, we go out again, same routine, but sometimes she will immediately go and sometimes we will be in her spot for 15 minutes or more and she gets progressively more frustrated and stubborn, pulling on the lead to go somewhere else, and she will not pee, so we go on a walk for at least 15 minutes, then back to her spot, which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. As for the poop-eating, she only does it in the house now, no longer attempts to eat it outside, so that's progress! Thank goodness she never went for other dogs' poop outside, only her own. As for it being down too long in the house, I am with her nearly continuously, and crate her when I'm not. (She never poops in the crate.) I clean up immediately, but she is very, very fast and eats it the moment it hits the floor. There have been a couple of times that I watched her poop and then just walk away and never look back, and I thought we were making progress, but the next time, she ate it. I can't figure out why she does or doesn't do it. Right now, we're focused on trying to figure out her schedule so we can adjust the walks accordingly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement