Our Beagle World Forums banner

Continuous pee-ing

9K views 49 replies 13 participants last post by  jenhardy 
#1 ·
We are very frustrated with house-training Bella, now 5 months old. She pees and poops when we take her out, and we take her out frequently, and always wait until she goes before taking her back in the house, and reward her outside, but she just keeps pee-ing in the house, often only a few minutes after being outside. And then again and again, often less than half an hour later. It really seems like more is coming out than is going in. Someone suggested we take up the newspaper because we had initially been praising her for going on the paper, so we did that, but then she just pees on the tile floor. If we put the paper down again, she pees on the paper. Should we stop putting paper down altogether and shout at her if we catch her pee-ing inside? Also, we aren't shouting at her if we catch her pooping inside, because we're trying to stop her eating her poop (tried everything suggested and nothing worked) and we're afraid if we shout at her, she'll just work faster to "hide" the evidence. But maybe it's time to start reprimanding her for pee-ing and pooping in the house? Any suggestions?

#30 ·
Wow! That's a LOT of money. I don't think it is necessary to feed the "best" food. Actually, some dogs can't tolerate the richer foods. Orijen was the most expensive I fed - made in Canada. Excellent quality, but my shepherd did not do well on it. Vets aren't always the best with nutrition advice. My vet wanted me to keep my pup on Science Diet. It never hurts to check out your options and some stores carry sample sizes of foods you might want to try.

#31 ·
Well, it's been three weeks since I started this thread about Bella peeing too often, and no improvement at all! Today I am at the end of my rope with her, and my husband just pointed out that she has been a positive addition to the house for everyone but me. They enjoy her, they play, they walk her, train her, sometimes even clean up after her, but the majority of the mopping falls to me and today I've mopped all day. She was out for her usual morning walk and pooped and peed (twice). In the next six hours, she peed in the house TEN times, pooped twice, ate it once. I had no chance to take her out because by the time I cleaned up and waited the 20 minutes or so that I thought reasonable, given that she has JUST DONE IT, she peed again. The only breaks for me were while she was napping. I twice set the alarm to take her out only 30 minutes after she'd peed on the floor, and both times she peed on the floor before the alarm went off. I've noticed that often her pee is nearly clear, no odor, almost like water. Could it be that she's drinking too much and I should limit her? The vet said no, and it really seems impossibly like she's putting out more than she's taking in. The vet said that Bella doesn't have a UTI, but maybe she was wrong. Maybe they didn't let the culture go long enough. I'm pretty sure she told me three days and called me after only two to say it was negative. She said the situation will improve as Bella matures, but I really think there must be a problem. I replicated one of her pee puddles with water and figured out that her output is approx. 1/4 cup per incident, which means that today, by 3:30pm, she'd peed about 3 cups, which seems really too much for a small Beagle. My experience is with breeding Min. Schnauzers, and I swear a pack of five didn't pee as much as Bella all by herself. Can anyone tell me what the treatment is for a Beagle puppy UTI? I am able to get most things OTC here, so I could treat her myself and see if the situation improves. We are not the type of people to live with puppy pee-pads in the house, and I'd really hate to keep her crated except for walks, which is what some house-training guides recommend. I also don't want to leave the balcony door open and just let her go out there. I want her to go out in the forest on her walks several times a day like a reasonable dog. Bella doesn't give me any signal that she needs to go. Just suddenly trots over to her chosen spot and squats. I am so frustrated with this!

#32 ·
She definitely sounds as if she has a UTI. Brodie is 6 months and I would say that for the last 4 weeks she has peed in the house maybe twice. And she doesn't get out nearly as often as your beagle.

How much water do you give her? Is it out all day for her?

What food is she eating?

#33 ·
Thanks for your comments. Of course all dogs are different, like people, but how often does Brodie go out? Bella is the same age. Bella has water available continuously -- which the vet says is necessary for dogs on dry food -- and she doesn't drink that often or excessively. She is eating Royal Canin adult for medium dogs (dry food). The vet said about a month ago that we should switch from puppy food (which was Purino Pro) to an adult food because Bella was a bit underweight, and the vet suggested Royal Canin. I have since found it's not the best, in terms of review of the ingredients, so we may switch when the 30lb bag is finished. I just remembered that the vet had said if Bella had a UTI (while we were waiting for test results) that the treatment would be switching her to a Hill's blend for UTI. I am going to look that up online and see if there are any potential problems feeding it if the dog doesn't have a UTI. Alternative is to find another vet and get another opinion, which I would assume requires another urine sample. That was not easy the first time 'round.

#34 · (Edited)
If it's truly a UTI that would require an antibiotic which is by Vet prescription and not an OTC product. I would call the vet and ask how it was determined after 2 days that it wasn't a UTI. Try giving water when she eats and then pick up and when you do put it down don't fill the bowl. She's not going to die of dehydration in a couple of days.

Cassie has been really good over the last few months about peeing and pooping outside...THAT BEING SAID....it has been raining here, she went outside this morning and when I wasn't looking she turned around and came back in and peed under the dining room table...grrrrrr. I had to crawl under the table on my hands and knees to wipe it up. I'll be thinking of you when I mop this morning.The rain always seems to throw her off. I picked up her water since she's licking the rain on the patio.
Fortunatey, I live in California and the weather is generally warm-rain is aways a big event (and much needed). Cassie is wet and smells like a wet blanket...heeheehee

As I am writing this she went outside while it was coming down and peeeeeeed! hooray!

It wasn't until she was about 10 months that I could count on consistency with the P&P outside, some dogs take longer-hopefuly our backs will hold up until then-I get sciatica due to the bending.

#43 ·
RX for UTI

If it's truly a UTI that would require an antibiotic which is by Vet prescription and not an OTC product. I would call the vet and ask how it was determined after 2 days that it wasn't a UTI. Try giving water when she eats and then pick up and when you do put it down don't fill the bowl. She's not going to die of dehydration in a couple of days.
Thanks! I am somewhat limiting her water, it's there, but not a full bowl, so I can try to keep track of how much she's drinking. I will ask the vet if the culture could have needed more time, altho' I think it's not a UTI because she can make it through the night in her crate with no problem. So I'm thinking it's a maturity issue. As an aside, I'm in Greece, where nearly everything except narcotics is OTC...

Sorry you had to crawl under the table to clean up. As my kids would say, "been there, done that!"

#35 ·
Brodie is on Eukanuba (dry) - it's the only food that doesn't make her have runny poo.

She gets half a bowl of water with her morning feed at 6am, half a bowl with her afternoon feed at 4pm and there's half a bowl in her crate during that day. She drinks the half a bowl straightaway after a feed but I don't know about that one in her crate.

The vet told me that Brodie will be able to hold longer when she is dressed because the removal of her bits creates more room for the bladder, so it's not so squeezed - but I don't have a problem with Brodie peeing so I am ok about that.

Brodie was crate-trained so I believe that it's quicker. If you are taking your dog out too much she may not feel the need to hold. Are you crate training? Do you treat and praise when she goes outside? Do you use puppy pads? These are all things that I did and it worked. I removed the pads as soon as she was going to the back door to use them. Now I have a big bunch of keys in the door which Brodie jumps up to jangle when she wants out.

#38 ·
Still continuous pee-ing

Brodie was crate-trained so I believe that it's quicker. If you are taking your dog out too much she may not feel the need to hold. Are you crate training? Do you treat and praise when she goes outside? Do you use puppy pads? ...
Hello again Hazel. Thanks for the info about how you're managing with Brodie. Bella generally goes out five or more times per day, and at least two of those outings are 30 mins or longer, but I don't think we're taking her out too often, because altho' she nearly always pees outside, she comes in and pees inside, too. We treat and praise when she pees outside. We initially trained her on paper indoors because the vet said not to take her out 8pm-8am because of the flies that cause Leishmaniasis being active then. After lots of research, I decided not to go along with that. Impossible to house-train a puppy when she has to been indoors for a 12-hour stretch! Then we only used the paper in the middle of the night for a few weeks until Bella could last the night without peeing in her crate. She has willingly slept in her crate since day one, and she goes in and out of it all day but I don't confine her to it during the day unless I have to leave her alone for a few hours. So if by "crate training" you mean keeping her in the crate during the day except for walks, no, I'm not doing that. Several people said, and I agree, that using pads AND expecting the puppy to go outside might be confusing, so we're not putting anything down for her to go in the house; I really don't want that. I don't mind the numerous walks and luckily we have a nice place to walk and the time to do it a reasonable number of times. But she peed 15 times today -- 12 times in the house -- not reasonable.

#37 ·
I still advocate for limiting the water. I know you don't want to, but at least try it. Leave the water down all day, but take it up for the evening. I know you don't want to crate train her, but it is the best way to housebreak. Once housebroken. Bella can have more freedom. I leave the crate door open and Boh goes in and out - often choosing to go in on his own. Remember that the newspaper initially confused Bella. Hard as it is, try to be patient with her.

Look at it this way.....You are becoming very frustrated. (I'd be tired of scrubbing floors too.) You only have two choices:
1. Correct the situation.
2. Get rid of Bella.
It sounds like you and your family love her. The only way to keep her is to try different things to get her housebroken, even if you aren't crazy about those options.

#40 ·
Sorry if you have already answered this, but does Bella pee in the crate? I agree that 12 times in the house in unreasonable. Fifteen times a day seems excessive to me. I don't know if there is another medical issue that would cause this, besides the UTI, but I would want answers from the vet.

#44 ·
Now I'm thinking that Bella's constant pee-ing, and in the same spot in the kitchen, is behavioral, although I don't think, as Jenhardy asked, that it's anxiety. Bella is a happy puppy, well-treated and very comfy. She doesn't seem anxious or unhappy. I think the pee-ing is behavioral because today is the third day of us using a combination/variation of the tethering/crating approaches to house-training, and she has only peed in the house three times in the three days. I tried tethering her to me, but it was dangerous for us both so she's tethered to the radiator pipe in the kitchen with a 5-foot lead. Her bed is there because we learned weeks ago that she prefers to lie near the radiator. Water and toys right next to her, and she can walk to within a foot of where I'm usually standing at the counter, and she can see the front door and much of the high-traffic area of the house so she's entertained. I am crating her only when I leave her for more than 1/2 an hour. I've done this twice in the two days (apart from at night) and she hasn't been crated daytime for over two hours at a time. So, the three times she peed inside since we started this were once in her crate after having been out less than an hour earlier; once on the floor while she was loose, having been outside less than an hour earlier, and she did it in that same spot in the kitchen; and once while tethered, 1 1/2 hour after her walk. We lost track of time, and realize now that she was barking and whining on and off for about 15 minutes and pulling toward the kitchen door. She was trying to tell us she wanted out but we were stupid! Over these past three days, she has gone up to three hours (while napping) without being walked, so she can definitely hold it. So maybe there's something about that one spot in the kitchen, or something about her being able to pee where we can't see her? I have cleaned that spot (tile floor) with vinegar/orange oil/water solution every time she's gone there, so it shouldn't smell attractive to her. Does it make sense that she holds it when tethered but not when she's loose? Even tethered, she can walk to a spot not near her bed if she wants to pee away from her bed. But I can see her. Is that it? Puppy psychology is not my strong suit!

#46 ·
Does it make sense that she holds it when tethered but not when she's loose?

I have wondered the same thing! My dog, too, only has accidents when loose and unmonitored in the house. There is something about privacy that dogs appreciate. Jesse has never, not once, pooped for my dog walkers. He poops on walks with me, but not with my husband. He prefers to poop off leash at the dog run or in our back yard. This must feel natural to him (a rescue.)

The Monks of New Skete suggest that new dogs and puppies be tethered to the human at all times when not crated or penned. It keeps the dog accountable somehow.

Their minds are hard to understand sometimes, for sure!

See the HOUSEBREAKING BLUES thread for my new pee/poop point system game.

#49 ·
1BH and jenhardy...it won't be long before these trying times will be a distant memory. Keep at it you both are doing great !!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.