Continuous pee-ing - Page 2 - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ugh 1BH, I feel for you! So frustrating!

I hope your dog begins to "get with the program" eventually. One poster here said that I should walk my dog every two hours until I learn which walks are necessary.

My dog, Jesse, is doing better, and hasn't had an accident since last Wednesday-knock wood. Interestingly, that's when the new crate came AND when I began pulling up his food after 15 minutes in the morning and evening. I'm not sure how the food and peeing are related, but I'm happy it's working.

I'm worried, though, that tomorrow is STELLA day, our cleaning lady comes. I'm wondering if Jesse is afraid of the vacuum and that's why he peed last week and then that set his schedule all off. Hopefully he'll feel safe in his new crate. We'll see. Wish us luck tomorrow!

And good luck to you, 1BH. I have to say, with my lab who was impossible to house train, in the end I did have to yell at her when she had accidents after weeks and weeks, WHILE rewarding her for success outside. I DO think dogs need to know what is NOT OKAY for us. Just like kids...
jenhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

Be patient! It will happen! My dog took a long time to train. She was 2 or so when I got her and had been an outdoor dog all her life til then. She very rarely has an accident now...it just took time and praise.
Also, to jenhardy, my dog also peed in her crate. I think she did it because she realized she could come out of it while it was cleaned. Beagles are smart!
Weirdly, she did much better housetraining after I took the crate away. I know it's not for everyone, but I can leave her alone for several hours by herself and she will not have any accidents. I was putting her in the crate for 20 minutes and she would have an accident. Who knows, maybe she is just an oddball!
doggiemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

no progress for Max today

two half an hour walks and he pee'd on his wee wee pad as soon as we returned to the house

not cool Max, not cool
TrueBlueFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

We are currently now at 4 days without a pee accident in the house - I can't quite believe it. She still pees in her crate during the day but she is left a while there, but I am sure we will get there.
Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

Bella is only 5 months. It is probably a maturity thing. I know beagles are notorious for being hard to housebreak. Be consistent and patient. It will happen.

I had high hopes there for a while. We made it TWO WEEKS, with no pee accidents. Natty Boh never has an accident overnight and never has a poo accident. I even went to a party Saturday and was gone for six hours. No accident. My buttons were bursting.

Sunday, I went downstairs to watch the football game and he peed in his crate. Starting over. Back at day 3. Whatchagonna do? SIGH!
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #16 (permalink)

Ha ha, we are so funny! Counting the days since the last accident! And, aren't the accidents RANDOM?

So, we did not make it through Stella Day. Jesse's crate was wet when I came home at 4:45. The dog walker texted that he was dry at noon, so, I don't know what happened. Stella leaves by 10, the latest. The dog walker would have me think that it happened later. Maybe it did. But, I suspect it was earlier, especially since I believe the dog walker may have been later than usual...

Anyway, we had gone 6 days with no accidents and today we had one. So we'll start over. You may think I'm crazy, but I'm planning to pen Jesse in the kitchen tomorrow because he's been reluctant to go into his crate. It seems awfully small for 5 hours at a time. Maybe he'll do better with it as an option but with the ability to roam the kitchen, too.

Again, wish us luck. And to all those also housebreaking, good luck to you, too!
Old 01-12-2013, 05:14 AM   #17 (permalink)

Default Continuous pee-ing/house-training

Thanks everyone for your supportive comments. Hearing about your experiences is also helpful. We spoke with the vet on Monday about Bella's frequent pee-ing and she said "Don't bring me the dog. Bring me the urine specimen." She believes it is possible to get a urine collection cup, about 5 inches high, under Bella, when she is squatting 1/4 inch off the ground. I asked if I could collect the morning pee on something else, like a clean sheet of art paper, and put it in the cup and the vet said no. So we have not been able to get a urine specimen because as soon as we go near Bella mid-pee, she stops. Plus that cup-height issue. Kind of comical, really! On the good side, I think (not that the vet said so) that an infection would have worsened and we'd be seeing other symptoms; we don't, just frequency. So I continue trying to figure out a schedule. Yesterday was a good day in that Bella didn't poop in the house even once, and only peed inside twice. On the other hand, we walked her excessively and she was out of the house on errands with me for several hours. Interestingly, although given several chances to "go" in unfamiliar patches of grass, Bella didn't go at all for nearly four hours, then went immediately in familiar territory near the house. So I'm thinking she can hold it when she wants to, and her going in the house is simply a misunderstanding.
1BeagleHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:06 AM   #18 (permalink)

Default Jesse afraid of housekeeper & doesn't like crate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenhardy View Post
So, we did not make it through Stella Day. Jesse's crate was wet when I came home at 4:45. The dog walker texted that he was dry at noon, so, I don't know what happened. ... he's been reluctant to go into his crate. It seems awfully small for 5 hours at a time. Maybe he'll do better with it as an option but with the ability to roam the kitchen, too.
I had some thoughts on the problems you're having with Jesse. Maybe Stella is doing things -- making noise -- in a way that frightens Jesse. Bella was terrified of the vac at first, and also the garbage disposal and the hairdryer. We fixed it by showing her that we're in control of the scary noises. We let her sniff the vac and the hairdryer while they were off, and then moved her away and let her watch us turn them on/off several times. For the garbage disposal, we sat her in front of the open cabinet door where the switch is and turned it on/off a few times. Now she completely ignores all of them. I wonder if it's not that Jesse doesn't like Stella, but that perhaps Jesse feels trapped in the crate surrounded by a scary noise. Or perhaps the crate isn't comfortable? Is it the correct size for Jesse? (Bella's is a PetMate Large 350, 32 x 23 x 23 inches.) Is there a nice pad, crate pillow or old blanket/towel? Is it perhaps near something that makes Jesse uncomfortable? A draft, a noise?Is it someplace near the people? Bella loves her crate in a corner of the kitchen (I'm there most of the time) and goes in/out happily all day when the door is open, and when we need to crate her for a few hours we give her a toy or two, maybe a Kong with some snacks in it, and her water, and no problem! At night, we crate her with her favorite bit of towel, one nylabone, and her water, and again, no problem. She only wet her crate twice when we first got it. Try re-introducing Jesse to the crate with lots of "comfort" items, and maybe in a new location, and make sure Jesse has "met" Stella and all the noise-making things. Good luck!
Old 01-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #19 (permalink)

1BH,
You might be right about Stella and the scary noises. Our previous dog dreaded Stella coming, too, so much that we wondered what Stella may have been doing or saying to her. I think getting Jesse used to the vacuum is a great idea. We'll try that.
Also, I AM concerned about Jesse's crate and I even posed a picture on one of these threads about the size. We had a 36" and everyone said it was TOO big and that Jesse had room to pee and to sleep. I couldn't block it off to make it smaller, so I sold it and bought a 30", which is the size the shelter people told me to buy. It seems awfully small, but he does go in it on his own to hang out and rest. I was sensing his reluctance to go in when we were leaving for work. I think he knew that we would be gone for hours and that he would be alone and in that tiny space.

The dog walkers said that he was a happy dog when found in the kitchen on Thursday. Only problems with this system are 1. that they can't open the gates and have to lift him over (40 pounds) and 2. Jesse knocked one gate down on Friday.

Thanks for the suggestions, though! We'll try.
Attached Thumbnails
Continuous pee-ing-new-crate.jpg  
Old 01-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #20 (permalink)

Well, I am completely frustrated with the house-training. It seemed we were making progress -- four days of Bella not eating her poop, and peeing only 3-4 times inside (isn't it sad that "only 3-4 times" seems good?). But then she ate her poop in the house three times in two days, and today she peed in the house 7 times. Three times she peed inside within 5 minutes or less of having been outside for 20-30 minutes and doing nothing outside. At one point, she peed inside three times in under 45 minutes. The vet said she doesn't have a UTI, but she did have "a few red blood cells" in the urine specimen, which the vet said indicates irritation, probably due to her peeing so much! The vet said the situation will improve as Bella "matures as a female". I don't know if I can do 4-6 more months of this. The vet said I cannot limit Bella's water because she's on dry food; the water should be constantly available. I really am so frustrated because I think we're doing the training properly. We took up the paper in the house weeks ago. We walk her frequently, in the designated area, and she does nothing -- except for first walk of the day, when she pees and poops immediately -- so after 15 minutes in the designated area, where she indicates her boredom by chewing on every stone, tree and pinecone, we leave the designated area and walk around a bit, then return to the designated area, another 10-15 minutes, and she does nothing, then we go inside and within a minute or two, she pees inside. I only caught her peeing once, so I shouted at her then, but I cannot correct her behavior if I never catch her doing it. I have her right here with me but I can't watch her every second, and she will pee standing right near me. There doesn't seem to be a schedule, even though we feed her at pretty much the same times every day. We are praising her enormously -- treat, verbal, petting -- every time she goes outside. Even while she's peeing I'm saying "Good girl, you peed!" trying to get her to associate the word "pee" with her action, so I can take her out and tell her to pee. I really don't want to resort to keeping paper or pads on the floor all the time. I know Bella can hold it because if we crate her during the day, even for up to three hours, she doesn't pee in the crate, and at night she stays dry 9-10 hours. What can we do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement