My beagle does not look like a full beagle... - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 01:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default My beagle does not look like a full beagle...

We bought her with papers saying she is put bred but she really does not look like it...I can't figure out how to post pictures on here with my phone, but she us 9 months old and hassle 10 pounds. She is a lemon so she didn't have the typical markings. But we always have people surprised when we say she is a beagle. She looks mixed with chihuahua or jack russle. We are considering getting here DNA tested, if she in fact isn't pure, could we sue the store? We love her regardless, but it is just frustrating to pay $900 for something we didn't technically get...
jamiet0825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 02:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Wait wait wait, $900 for a beagle? A friend of mine bought a grand champion stud dog for $1100--a proven show winner and sire of winners. I've never seen a beagle pup for sale for over $400 (unless you count the so-called "Old English" Pocket beagles", which aren't even a real thing). And you're not even sure it's really a beagle? WOW, just wow.
Of course nobody here can help though, unless we can see a lot of pictures. However it is possible that you did get a pure "Old English" type beagle, which are bred for size and do not always look very beagle-ish (I had a pup awhile back I was not sure of either, but she's older now and definitely a beagle).
Hsaiotei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hi, I sometimes think the same about my puppy. She's nearly 17 weeks now and still seems very small to me. But I have nothing to compare her to I've never had another beagle. She also sometimes looks like a jack russel with bigger ears and has a lot of loose skin on and around her head and face...she deffently has the beagle nature though and I also have her family tree. Maybe just every dog is different and not all beagles are the picture perfect ones maybe like my Millie your puppy was the runt of the litter.

I'm from the UK and only paid 300 for her, which is cheap really I known people to pay up to 700. I'm not sure what that exchanges to in $ but sounds like you paid a lot for her.
ruthc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

In Scotland beagle puppies are around the 800 mark, but I travelled down to England to get Brodie and paid 550. Obviously just more breeders than in Scotland - so it must depend on availability.
Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm really sorry if you bought your puppy from a pet store. Pet store puppies are puppy mill puppies. There is a store in my area that sells puppies. Someone bought a dog from them that did not appear PB. They did DNA testing and the puppy was a mix. The store did wind up paying for the DNA test, refunding the purchase fee and allowed the people to keep the dog.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthc86 View Post
Hi, I sometimes think the same about my puppy. She's nearly 17 weeks now and still seems very small to me. But I have nothing to compare her to I've never had another beagle. She also sometimes looks like a jack russel with bigger ears and has a lot of loose skin on and around her head and face...she deffently has the beagle nature though and I also have her family tree. Maybe just every dog is different and not all beagles are the picture perfect ones maybe like my Millie your puppy was the runt of the litter.

I'm from the UK and only paid 300 for her, which is cheap really I known people to pay up to 700. I'm not sure what that exchanges to in $ but sounds like you paid a lot for her.
Ruth--if that's your pup in your avatar, she sure looks like a pure beagle to me. I know that sometimes it's hard to tell with, say, a beagle/coonhound mix, but of course if she were one of those she'd be a LOT bigger.
Hsaiotei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks Hsaiotei, there are more photos of her in my album and we meet a beagle owner out on a walk in the woods and they knew right away she was a beagle. I guess it's just because I've never known a beagle to compare her to. She's got the beagle eyes when she's a naughty girl all she needs to do is stare at you with them eyes and she's forgiven in seconds.
ruthc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthc86 View Post
She's got the beagle eyes when she's a naughty girl all she needs to do is stare at you with them eyes and she's forgiven in seconds.
TrueBlueFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiet0825 View Post
We bought her with papers saying she is put bred but she really does not look like it...I can't figure out how to post pictures on here with my phone, but she us 9 months old and hassle 10 pounds. She is a lemon so she didn't have the typical markings. But we always have people surprised when we say she is a beagle. She looks mixed with chihuahua or jack russle. We are considering getting here DNA tested, if she in fact isn't pure, could we sue the store? We love her regardless, but it is just frustrating to pay $900 for something we didn't technically get...
Nope, this is buyer beware. No contract, only a recipt you have very small chance at winning anything and you would be stuck with court costs. I wouldn't waste money on DNA the chances of her being mixed somewhere are very great since you got her from a store. Have her altered and love her as a pet and let this be a learning lesson you can pass on to others about pet stores. (worse place in the world to get a puppy)

Be aware also that beagles are not all going to look like snoopy or the dog show beagles. There are also hunting lines which are leaner and more colorful.

Here are some resources for you.
Free Puppy Report

Pet Stores

If you decide on another puppy at some point, this is how to find a responsible one
Breeder/Breeding Information

Beagle Breed Information

Health and Genetics
Prevention is Kinder then Destruction. Spay and Neuter. BE EDUCATED. If you breed, breed RESPONSIBLY 8,109 homeless beagles on Petfinder right now. Why are their breeders not stepping up? http://www.wonderpuppy.net/1breeding.php
Research, All I can do is open new doors for you to explore. Act and buy responsibly, your choice is the future of the breed. http://www.learntobreed.com/

New Vaccine standards! Miss Bones 2002-2010
brandypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

If you are buying one from the UK only by one from a Kennel Club assured Breeder. You can find a list on the website.
There is a strict breed standard for the Beagle so chances are if it doesn't look like a Beagle it probably isn't.
The going rate for a Beagle pup is 800 in UK from an assured breader which is what I just paid for mine My beagle does not look like a full beagle...-imageuploadedbypg-free1357881230.344758.jpgMy beagle does not look like a full beagle...-imageuploadedbypg-free1357881267.848800.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
JaakeTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement