why does my beagle whine? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default why does my beagle whine?

Hi everyone, Chewie is almost 19 weeks old! We tried daycare twice last week and we were told that he whined most of the time there, especially when other dogs were getting picked up. There's a possibility the daycare will no longer take him back if he continues this =(

So we're trying to figure out why he whines - separation anxiety? tired? just doesn't like the place? When we went to pick him up, he barely gave my husband a second glance and ran for the door. Stopped whining when he got into his crate in the car.

Chewie sleeps in his crate 99% of the time. He doesn't seem to know how to sleep unless we crate him. Is he whining because he's so tired at daycare and doesn't know how to sleep? And how do we "sleep train" him so that we don't always have to crate him to tell him he needs to sleep?

Also, we try to keep him in his playpen so that he stays out of trouble when we need to step out of the room.. he will whine like crazy until we come back. This means that if I need to make dinner, I need to crate him (he whines for a minute then sleeps). Any idea how to overcome this?

Thanks!
beagleme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

First off, has he been checked for a medical issue? He is still pretty young and he could be whining from confusion/anxiety also. Is there someone that could come to your house to provide daycare instead of dropping him off somewhere? Just some thoughts that might help. The crate seems to be his safe place. If you close the crate door and put a bed in the room you are in, will he lay down?

Here is some good info about whining ASPCA | Whining
Old 01-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

As long as your dog is healthy and checked out by a vet it could be separation anxiety. Perhaps the daycare people don't interact with your dog. Probably could use more exercise and soon attend obedience class which could be helpful.
When Cassie goes to "doggie-camp" she gets to play hard with lots of other dogs and comes home really pooooped (lol). Is your day care just at someone's home?
Cassie is 11 months and still whines if I leave her sight-I've really been working on this and it actually seems a little better in the last few days.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagleme View Post
Hi everyone, Chewie is almost 19 weeks old! We tried daycare twice last week and we were told that he whined most of the time there, especially when other dogs were getting picked up. There's a possibility the daycare will no longer take him back if he continues this =(

So we're trying to figure out why he whines - separation anxiety? tired? just doesn't like the place? When we went to pick him up, he barely gave my husband a second glance and ran for the door. Stopped whining when he got into his crate in the car.

Chewie sleeps in his crate 99% of the time. He doesn't seem to know how to sleep unless we crate him. Is he whining because he's so tired at daycare and doesn't know how to sleep? And how do we "sleep train" him so that we don't always have to crate him to tell him he needs to sleep?

Also, we try to keep him in his playpen so that he stays out of trouble when we need to step out of the room.. he will whine like crazy until we come back. This means that if I need to make dinner, I need to crate him (he whines for a minute then sleeps). Any idea how to overcome this?

Thanks!
He whines becuase that day care is very possibly not the right one for him. I would look for another one. He is a puppy, he will whine but he should also be active enough to keep his mind off that stuff. If they dont take him back that is a very bad place who cannot deal with dogs properly IMHO.

My dog is 5, he is still crated when he eats, we go out. He was crated until about 3 for night sleep.
Prevention is Kinder then Destruction. Spay and Neuter. BE EDUCATED. If you breed, breed RESPONSIBLY 8,109 homeless beagles on Petfinder right now. Why are their breeders not stepping up? http://www.wonderpuppy.net/1breeding.php
Research, All I can do is open new doors for you to explore. Act and buy responsibly, your choice is the future of the breed. http://www.learntobreed.com/

New Vaccine standards! Miss Bones 2002-2010
brandypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement