Teething puppy - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 03:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Teething puppy

Hello all!

My beagle pup George is 5 months old and is majorly teething. He's already lost his two front teeth, and is constantly trying to put anything and everything between his razor-sharp baby teeth. Does anyone know when this phase will be over, and how can I get him to stop biting EVERYTHING (including me!).
melati312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 03:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to ee61re Send a message via Skype™ to ee61re

Search for 'bite inhibition', and make sure he has lots of suitable toys to chew instead of you. The teething goes on for a few months, I think.
ee61re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Max is four month and he tries to chew on anything he can get his teeth on.

Got him plenty of rope all around the house, outside he goes for tree branches, grass, even stacked tiles we got in the backyard (luckily only briefly)
TrueBlueFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Get a lot of chew toys like Nyla bones-the chewing thing lasts quite awhile. Cassie is 11 months and she chews a lot. They like ice cubes to chew on and it relieves the teething discomfort. Read up on nipping and biting and you will also find much in "Search" above on the topic. You need to work on the nipping and biting behavior. Watch any children you might have around so they don't get bitten.
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Be very carful with toys! Beagles are known as Barley was to eat everything and it can make them very sick. I highly recommend Deer antlers they are completely digestible and don't splinter. These are the only toys/treats we give him. I buy Barley a med one for about $8.99 and it usually will last a month. He was a big chewer and this was our saving grace. Also get some Grannick's Bitter Apple Spray for the things you don't want chewed we used it on everything the sofa chairs the baseboards, it's completely harmless and they hate the taste so it stops them from chewing! Good luck I never in my life had a more stubborn puppy before our beagle Barley

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
They like ice cubes to chew on and it relieves the teething discomfort.
cool... I've started putting ice cubes in Max's bowl because he drinks water way too quickly and then pees a lot, but with ice cubes it seems to slow him down (when it melts). I noticed he bites and eats snow when outside so I figured he wouldn't mind the ice cubes too much.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by melati312 View Post
Hello all!

My beagle pup George is 5 months old and is majorly teething. He's already lost his two front teeth, and is constantly trying to put anything and everything between his razor-sharp baby teeth. Does anyone know when this phase will be over, and how can I get him to stop biting EVERYTHING (including me!).
Not a phase with beagles. lol just make sure you have lots of proper things to chew on.

Dog Tip: Bite Inhibition -- an Essential Part of Socialization
Prevention is Kinder then Destruction. Spay and Neuter. BE EDUCATED. If you breed, breed RESPONSIBLY 8,109 homeless beagles on Petfinder right now. Why are their breeders not stepping up? http://www.wonderpuppy.net/1breeding.php
Research, All I can do is open new doors for you to explore. Act and buy responsibly, your choice is the future of the breed. http://www.learntobreed.com/

New Vaccine standards! Miss Bones 2002-2010
brandypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

I toss a cup of ice on the patio and Cassie loves to run around after them and crunch-they are like toys. She gets excited when she sees me go to the icemaker. She also has a huge antler..paid $15 bucks (on sale) for that thing but boy she loves to chew on it-the smaller ones don't last long.
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Max started biting a lot more now when playing.

Trying to walk away from him doesn't work, because he follows you and starts jumping and biting to play more. Closing the baby gate results in him banging on it until he gets attention. Very mischievous little guy.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ella is only 6 weeks old, but will chase me when I try to walk away from her after she bites and I say "Ouch!". I know she is very young, so I tried getting her a chicken-flavored puppy Nylabone today-which she acted scared of at first, and now has no interest in. She is only interested in her other toys for about two minutes at a time. Any suggestions on good toys that will keep her attention? I was thinking about getting a Kong, but I am not sure if it would be age appropriate. I will definitely be going to training classes with her as soon as she's old enough! Thanks!
EllaBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement