Biting - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 11:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Biting

Hi,
My 6 month old male beagle is well behaved and fairly well trained. He has the occasional tantrum, sometimes causes some mayhem around the house and is happiest when out investigating.

However Ive never really been able to control his biting. He frequently bites my hands when I try to dry him following a trip out in the wet weather, or when putting on his lead, or when playing with him e.g. grabbing toys. I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this erratic type of behaviour because it appears to be intentional.

I would greatly appreciate any ideas because I havent really got any techniques for stopping it apart from screaming loudly when he does bite. And saying "no".

Happy new year

Thanks
nelson2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to ee61re Send a message via Skype™ to ee61re

Is he biting, or just mouthing? (I realise in some ways, neither is acceptable, but they are 2 different things.)
ee61re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Okay thanks. Well, if aggressive growling during a typical situation, causing deep teeth marks on skin or seemingly attacking body parts without provocation is not biting then I guess it could be interpreted as mouthing. But what does this mean in terms of whether it should be accepted? Should this reduce over time or can it develop into biting?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-31-2012, 02:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi
Go under "Search" and put in biting or nipping and you are sure to find a lot of discussion on the topic. Get the dog in obedience class if you haven't yet, work on socialization, limit tug of war games, and get a lot of hard chew items like nyla bones, antlers. Praise wildly when good and use a clicker and ignore, say no, or growl back (grrrr) when he bites. Consistency is important and if you do this it will get better. My dog was biting and nipping at that age and she doesn't do it anymore at 11 months-so there is hope.
Happy New Year

Last edited by Cassie; 12-31-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks alot, I will take a look. Limiting tug of war is interesting because I play this all the time with him. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-31-2012, 06:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

A couple more things to mention is I noticed my dog was more nippy when she was tired so I gave her frequent naps throughout the day like every few hours even for an 1/2 hour-1 hour. Its like a different dog when they have had a nap. Also when they do "zoomies" (running around crazy) get ready for a bite. After I got a few bites after running crazy I just got out of her area because her over excitement was sure to start the biting...

Personally, I give a little treat each time I put her in the crate, even now so I have a willing pooch. I say "crate", show the treat and she goes nicely...she's sleeping as I write this.

If you have any children around be sure to monitor so the child doesn't get bitten.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement