Puppy growl's and sometimes tries to bite when I wake her up to pee - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy growl's and sometimes tries to bite when I wake her up to pee

Hey y'all

Before I leave for work I always take my little girl and boy out for a pee before I leave so my spouse can sleep. She has always been a growler when I wake her up which is really no surprise because I hate being woken up too! But lately she has also been trying to bite me Does this mean anything or am I reading into it to much?

Thanks

Kevan
magickstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

It could be that she sleeps soundly and gets frightened or confused when wakened. Has this improved? Sometimes it's hard to wake Cassie too-she'll look at me and put her head back down-I really hate to do it but it's a matter of timing in our schedule as well.
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hi Cassie no unfortunately its not getting better! This morning she bit me three times I'm so sad about the whole situation! Anyone have any suggestions on what I could try?
Old 12-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Puppies are notoriously nippy and bitey at that age. If its your hands she is biting maybe put on garden gloves to protect your hands. Say a loud "No" when she nips and distract her with a chew toy or ignore her (they hate that). If you are consistent it will get better even though right now you don't think so especially when she looks at you with that adorable face and you think she hates you (not). I have an old robe I wore that looks like swiss cheese from all the bites she made (lol).

Read up on "bite inhibition"

Use of a training clicker and treats helps them to follow your directions.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks Cassie I will read up on bite inhibition! I was starting to think I was doing something wrong w/ my baby girl and that she was starting to hate me! I honestly love this breed of dog and don't think I will ever have a different breed for as long as I live! What is this Clicker Training your speaking about? This is my first dog ever so I'm a bit of a newbie!! Lastly how long did it take you for your dog to stop biting! Also my puppy is around 8 months old. I don't know if this age is still really considered a puppy but she is still just a baby in my eyes lol.

Last edited by magickstar; 12-27-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Give the dog a lot of exercise/play and lots of naps. My dog was more nippy when she was tired. Get out of the way when she is doing "zoomies" (running around crazy) becasue that's when my dog got nippy. I wouldn't play any tug of war games right now since it makes them a little aggressive. Get lots of chew toys especially bones like antlers (large ones)-they are $$ but so worth it. I also buy at the market in the meat dept packages of marrow bones and bake them for about an hour to render out the fat then bag them up and put them in the freezer. When Cassie sees me get the freezer bag she gets so excited-they are great for them to chew and get that desire to bite under control. Really work on this as at 8 months she should be getting better.

As for the clicker, you can buy one at a pet store where you buy food, toys etc. Its a small plastic thing with a button that clicks when you press it-it really works in the training of all types of things-you can also find lots of info on how to use one and even youtube videos on the internet. I taught Cassie to go into the crate by using a clicker, for peeing/pooping/sitting, shake etc etc. Essentially you get them to do what you ask and then click as the re-enforcement followed by a treat and praise--its like the pavlov dog process. when your dog stops nipping, you click, treat, and praise wildly! Carry one in your pocket so you have it handy and ready to use.

I read, read, read all the time even now at 11 months to educate myself on what to do on all things doggie-I am a "newbie" too. I haven't had a dog since I was a kid-and I just retired in March (lol).

By the way, when you wake your dog to you touch her? is she sleeping in a crate? I open the crate door and let her come out on her own while I call her name and say "peepee".
Old 12-27-2012, 11:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Cassie - you are absolutely right. The 'cure' is training. Also, you made another good point about being frightened when woken up. Because I adopt the dogs that no one else wants/can handle, I make it a policy to never touch a sleeping animal. Call her - and have a treat to give her when she comes - as long as she doesn't bite. I train my dogs to come/sit - that is, to come and sit in front of me. Think of an 8 month old pup as being a teenager - patience is the only way through.
ljas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement