Beagle question - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beagle question

I am interested in adopting a beagle. I have a question. I have 5 birds, 4 parakeets that are never out of their cages and I have a small parrot that is 9 inches long and she is out of her cage until she goes to bed or I have to go some where. I need to know if having a beagle would work out with having birds. Would the beagle go after my birds or does it just depend on the individual dog? Is a beagle not the type of dog to get with having birds? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks for reading!!
mobetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It would depend on the beagle. I know my girls might like to look at the birds but wouldn' hurt them in any way. In fact, Molly would probably be afraid of them!! Its amazing how animals can learn to get along. At one point I had a beagle, a cat and a ferret, and they all played together.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for replying! I was also thinking along the lines of what you said that you think it depends on the beagle. If I do go ahead and get him if it doesnt work I would have up to 15 days to take him back to the shelter, but I would hate to do that to him. They dont know how old he is because he is a stray and he is on a 5 day hold to see if an owner shows. He can be adopted out after the 5 days if no one claims him of course. He looks young, kinda has a baby face. They dont know how old he is but guess he may be 1-2 yrs old. I wasnt allowed to have contact with him today. Strange rule I think...they said that since he was on a 5 day hold no one could could have contact with him or even take him in the area where you meet the dog. I know its a 50/50 chance of him leaving my birds alone especially the one that is out of the cage daily. It would be perfect if he ended up being afraid of my parrot!! lol
Old 12-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Welcome
What is your plan on day 16...17...18..etc if there is an issue with the dog and the birds-that will be beyond the take back period? Consider carefully how you can/can't make it work.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

I would say that my Brodie loves chasing birds, loves it. She hasn't actually ever caught one so I can't tell you what may happen, but she does love chasing them.
Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Cassie...Thats why I said I had the 15 day period but I would hate to get him and have to take him back....I dont want to do that to him. Believe me I am thinking this through, asking questons....thats why I am here. I dont want to get him and have to take him back, thats not fair to him!!! I also have thought about what if after the 15 days things got bad/something happened...what then. I tend to over think everything, so I have thought of all kinds of things happening and what I could do to prevent things from happening. I am not to worried about my birds so much if I wsa here its more of a worry for when I wasnt here. I have even thought of ways I could prevent him from getting close to the cages so he couldnt jump up and knock the smaller cages over when no one is home. Its not written in stone yet that I am going to take him. I havent even been able to pet him yet or spend any time with him yet. He just came to the shelter on the 22nd and when I looked at him he was very mellow, no barking or whinning, he didnt even jump up on the cage door...he just stood there and looked at us wagging his tail looking back and forth between us. He was shaking super bad also. I know the poor guy has to be terrified to be there and maybe cause of being scared thats why he was acting the way he was. If he is still there on the 27th we are going to go back and see how he is with us. Even then we might still take a day or 2 to make a final decision. I am not the kind of person who just jumps into thins without thinking it though. I have been researching beagles...I inform myself as much as possiable.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

When I first got my beagle I lived with a roommate who had a pet rabbit. Claire was a puppy at the time, but she got along well with the rabbit. We had to watch her close when the rabbit was out of its cage but the only thing she did was lick it & try to eat its food & poop.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Clairebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Just a thought...what about crating him during the day? We crate Aston Martin during the day when we're at work. Being a social dog, I didn't think it would be an easy hung for him. But, he's taken to it pretty well. Goes in without a problem, comes out calmly, not like a spaz. If you're worried about what he'll do when you aren't home, that could be a possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
shelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

I raise fancy chickens, and although Sophie is very excited by them, she has learned to leave them alone. That said, I would not leave her out with them unsupervised. I would recommend crating the dog at night and when he would be alone with the birds. I think that you are doing the right thing - anticipating any problems and looking for solutions before there is a problem - you have a very responsible approach to pet ownership.
ljas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have a small parakette that is always in his cage. My beagle, Sniiffer, came to my home after the fact. He went nuts for the first week or so--barking at the cage and howling. He no longer even notices the parakette. I, however, agree with ljas, I would not keep a bird out of a his cage when I was not home unless you were going to crate the beagle.
Gigi33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement