Our Beagle World Forums banner

Expanding access to the house?? HELP

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  kutyuska 
#1 ·
Cassie turns 11 months this week. She is in a penned in area in our large dining room-essentially most of the room is hers. From her area she can see us in the kitchen and living room and is able to go out to the patio. She will whine miserably if I'm out of her sight so I'm really hoping to expand her access in the house so she can be with us.

I've been trying to get her to settle down in a guest bedroom by bringing her in there every day for the last couple of months. I started putting the leash on her this week and letting her drag it to the bedroom without me holding it...she goes straight down the hall and into the room nicely where she will chew vigorously on her bones for quite awhile under supervision as she has moments of distraction... I've also walked around the house with her on a leash and had her in the bathroom with me.
This seems like such little progress at this stage.

Am I expecting too much at this age? I'm looking for suggestions on how you were able to give access to the house and at what age should I see improvement?? :frown:

#2 ·
I'm sure you've noticed that beagles tend to be, well, a little excitable. :) If she's penned most of the time, she doesn't know the rules of the rest of the house. My suggestion is to leave her loose whenever anyone is home to supervise and pen her at night until she has the "day rules" down. My dogs are never penned anymore, unless we're cleaning the carpets. They are 4, almost 3, almost 2, and 1 year old. They still get into stuff sometimes, but it's not too bad (one of them collects socks and yesterday Rachel chewed up a cardboard tube from a toilet paper roll, I don't even know where she found it). Sometimes they clear off the coffee table when I'm not home. Other than that they're mostly very good, but when we transitioned from leashing/penning to freedom, Bella and Annie both had an adjustment period where they were, for want of a better term, a little nuts.

#3 ·
Jackson is almost 11 months, but I haven't gotten brave enough to give him run of the house yet. He's restricted to the kitchen and living room areas (we have tile floors there and a gate separating the back of the house.) I'm too afraid of what he'll eat or destroy!

#4 ·
Beagles are social (pack) dogs. They not only want to be with you, they need alot of socializtion. This can be walks, petting time or just sitting time. Yes, they can be a handful and my 2 have chewed things they shouldn't but at 2 years old they are just beginning to learn most of the rules. It takes time but mostly it takes being with your beagle for them to learn what they need to know. Just like kids they must be taught or they will teach themselves.

#5 ·
My dog has never had restricted areas.
When he was little, like 3-4 months old he chewed on carpet( I live in an apartment ), chair legs, but I left him home alone since he was 6 months old. He was completely housetrained and completed teething. He was alone for 6-8 hours, never chewed on anything . I left the radio on and the light.
He is Xmas tree proof:) even with glass ball ornaments .
I had a beagle before , around 15 years ago and didn't have a problem to leave him alone without any restriction. He was a lab rescue. Maybe I was lucky ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.