My Beagle ate a meat netting - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 04:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default My Beagle ate a meat netting

I just thought I would write this little/big adventure we just had, for other owners to have some sort of idea what can happen.
Our Beagle, Cara, 5 months old, snatched a meat netting through the trash bag. It happened really fast, while my man was putting on her leash, she just snatched it from the tied bag and gulped it down. Nothing we could have done, it happened in like 2 seconds. She knows she's not supposed to eat such things so if she finds them, they go down in a flash.

The netting was from a 1kilo piece of ham we had cooked in the oven and it was all in one piece, just cut a bit so I could peel it off.

So we gave her a teaspoon of salt, hoping she would just throw it up (which worked perfectly a few weeks ago when she gulped down a small plastic bag while walking - similar 3-second-long-deed). The salt didn't do anything, she just drank a lot of water and that was that.

We went to the vet in the morning (of course this all happened at 9pm when all the clinics were already closed). Got scheduled for an X-ray for later, did that, and it looked like there were some small pieces of metal in her stomach still. We got some Vaseline to give her to help it slide through the system.

During all this, the puppy was 100% normal, playful, walking, running, begging for food constantly.

The next day we went to the vet again in the morning, first thing. They gave her some special white liquid that would help show lumps of stuff in the digestive system.

Now we just returned from the vet and she dragged me out and she eliminated what looks like the whole net, with both ends and metal parts at each end! I am not sure if the vaseline helped, but I am inclined to believe yes. And I am SO glad we have avoided surgery! Especially now, a few days before Christmas...

Anyway, if that happens to you, the best thing is to call a Vet ASAP. And ask for advice. Food oil will not work, because it gets absorbed in the stomach, so you need to ask a pharmacy for a product.

Have a most lovely Christmas everyone!!!
sandruta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

So glad she is okay! Yes, calling the vet in that situation is definately the best thing.

Very lovely Christmas card!
Old 12-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Years ago I had a big meatheaded shepherd mix named Jack. Jack was a canine garbage disposal. If it was even kind of edible, he'd try to eat it. My kids were very little at the time (the older one was five and the younger was just a toddler). We had decorated for Christmas by hanging strings of tinsel around the doorways (I'm sure you see where this is going). One day I noticed that the string from the living room doorway was gone. I looked everywhere but couldn't find it, and I thought the kids had pulled it down somehow and hidden it. I couldn't find even one little bit of it anywhere.
A couple of days later I let Jack out to do his business, went to let him in and he was doing "the hunch" in the yard, so I gave him a little more time, went back and he was still hunched over. I called to him and he looked up but didn't move. So I put on my coat and boots and slogged through the yard to go get him. When I got to where he was, I saw about 4" of silver tinsel hanging out of his butt. It wasn't coming out any more even though he was really pushing, so I thanked the Universe that I was wearing gloves, grabbed the end and pulled slowly.
Jack went nuts. He started trying to run away (didn't like the feeling, I'd guess the tinsel was chafing his uh, exit hole) and yelping like mad. The strand of tinsel just kept coming, longer and longer. The neighbors were looking out their windows, no doubt trying to figure out just what, exactly, I was doing to the dog. It finally came out in one continuous 10' piece.
Got the dog inside, called the vet, and when he was done laughing he told me to watch the dog for signs of abdominal discomfort or bloody stool, but the dog never did show any ill effects. The neighbors probably never looked at me quite the same way again, though.
Hsaiotei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

So glad she's okay. So scary! Jackson has snatched small things out of garbage bags, and when he does he runs away...but we've managed to get everything out of his mouth so far.
myjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Nice card. Mine like to find road kill as they walk and with their sharp sense of smell they are much quicker than me to find it and even quicker to grab it.
btomlin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

I had a 200 pound Newfoundland mix who ate the strangest things - and survived (we had him for 17 years). He ate an entire bag of cat litter, for example, but showed no ill effects - and the vet swore that it shouuld have killed him. The most bizzare incident was when he ate a throw rug - he ate it in one piece, which we found out when it emerged from the other end - intact (he did need a little help with that one - ick!)

I'm so glad that Cara is ok!
ljas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement