exercise?? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default exercise??

Hey guys I wanted to know if there's anything I can buy for my beagles so they can get exercise inside during the winter? Also during summer does anyone have dog runs they use for there beagles? I'm just wondering how well they work and if anyone has had any issues with your beagle getting loose? I have a big property and putting a fence up would be too expensive.

thanks guys

Kevan
magickstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Putting the dog out in a run will lead to a bored dog. Which will bark bark bark. Now, if you are talking about a BIG run and going in there to play with him, that's different. Beagles are known escape artists and can dig, jump and climb quite well, so be prepared. I have a very large fenced backyard and do not allow my four to be outside alone (or I watch through the window). If they start barking (except in play), they come straight in. When I had my shepherd and didn't have a fenced yard, I ran a VERY strong cable between two poles about thirty feet apart and attached another cable to the dog's collar. He could run up and down the length of the yard and the collar-cable allowed him cross-yard movement. It wasn't the best situation ever but he seemed okay with it and I knew he was safe. Is it feasible to just fence a portion of your property? A bigger area than a commercially-made dog run (always too small imho) but not enough to break the bank?
Hsaiotei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Besides a penned in area outside we sunk a tie-out stake with a lead where she can make a large circle so depending on the amount of space you have will determine the length of the lead. Cassie is busy sniffing and digging and play with toys.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

It would be more expensive, a treadmill would give lots of exercise.
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsaiotei View Post
Putting the dog out in a run will lead to a bored dog. Which will bark bark bark. Now, if you are talking about a BIG run and going in there to play with him, that's different. Beagles are known escape artists and can dig, jump and climb quite well, so be prepared. I have a very large fenced backyard and do not allow my four to be outside alone (or I watch through the window). If they start barking (except in play), they come straight in. When I had my shepherd and didn't have a fenced yard, I ran a VERY strong cable between two poles about thirty feet apart and attached another cable to the dog's collar. He could run up and down the length of the yard and the collar-cable allowed him cross-yard movement. It wasn't the best situation ever but he seemed okay with it and I knew he was safe. Is it feasible to just fence a portion of your property? A bigger area than a commercially-made dog run (always too small imho) but not enough to break the bank?
Thnx for your reply! What you were describing with two poles in your yard is what we were thinking about instead of a fenced in run. Did u ever use that with your beagles?
Old 12-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie View Post
It would be more expensive, a treadmill would give lots of exercise.
techie
How do you get your beagle on the treadmill and stay and run?
Old 12-16-2012, 12:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magickstar View Post
Thnx for your reply! What you were describing with two poles in your yard is what we were thinking about instead of a fenced in run. Did u ever use that with your beagles?
No, I do use cable ties with them when I have them on the front porch, as the front yard isn't fenced. The thing I would recommend most is to check the cables frequently for weakness--if they get kinked the plastic cover can split and let in moisture which causes the ties to rust and then break--and to be sure it's still firmly attached at the ends. I also buy the "large dog" strength ties as beagles are freakishly strong. You also want to be sure the collar has a buckle and not a snap-in, sometimes those give way and if you're not going to be out there watching the dog every minute you want it to be as safe as you can. it's actually not as bad as I make it sound, lol, we used them for the big dog for years with no issues and I'm sure, if the yard wasn't fenced, it'd work for the beagles.

oh--and set the poles in cement. Again, a lunging, excited beagle is STRONG for their size.
Hsaiotei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Buy? a treadmill. food toys, puzzles, kongs.

why not actually take them OUT to run and play?
LAD85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

We take Aston out whether it's hot or cold....sometimes even if it's slightly rainy...he loves the rain. Physical exercise is top priority...but...

If you can't exercise the body..then exercise the mind. Aston is a problem-solver. Kong products have been a must in our house. We have the classic Kong---I stuff it with wet dog food, the 2 Kong geniuses-you can put treats or dry dog food in them--Aston will spend forever trying to get every last piece of dry food out of them, the the Kong wobbler--once again dry dog food. Every one of them will keep him busy.
shelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Brodie will go out in any weather at all, and I've had her out in -10 recently and she loved it. She loves the frost and snow. I take her out just as long as when the weather is 'good'.
Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement