Do Beagles calm down & pulling on a lead issues - Page 2 - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 12:42 AM   #11 (permalink)

I think Shelly is correct. Obedience classes are paramount if you want the best out of your dog. It is often the owners that require the training on how to properly handle your dog. Once you have learnt that the fog just follows suit.
Regarding the pulling, I use a slip lead and everytime Brynn moves out from me a correct him with it. He is only 14 weeks old and one of the best behaved dogs i see when we are outDo Beagles calm down & pulling on a lead issues-imageuploadedbypg-free1357882937.244524.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
JaakeTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaakeTod View Post
I think Shelly is correct. Obedience classes are paramount if you want the best out of your dog. It is often the owners that require the training on how to properly handle your dog. Once you have learnt that the fog just follows suit.
Regarding the pulling, I use a slip lead and everytime Brynn moves out from me a correct him with it. He is only 14 weeks old and one of the best behaved dogs i see when we are outAttachment 8209

You hit the nail on the head. Classes & private lessons were probably 50% for Aston Martin & 50% for me. Him so he would learn how to behave & me to learn how to handle him. It's definitely been a learning experience. He's a very well behaved dog out on walks. Riding in the Jeep.....that's still a work in progress.

shelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

Do Beagles calm down & pulling on a lead issues-imageuploadedbypg-free1357926264.012887.jpg

He can be trusted at outdoor advanced obedience class with me 20 feet away. He's such a good student

shelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

Something must have scared Max

During the day I take him out in the backyard without a lead. In the evening and early morning he goes out on a lead. Tonight, he kept on running in different directions on the lead so I tried to get him closer by reducing the amount of lead he had. As he got much closer he sort of squatted and tried to pull away, as if afraid of me. I petted him and we continued walking, but that sort of got me worried.

He was still pulling and stopping on the short lead, but he's getting better.

How many treats do you guys go through to make your pup walk beside you more or less calmer? What treats work best?

I recently got a few packets of Purina Pro Plan training treats which Max seems to like more than the dried chicken strips we were giving him before.
TrueBlueFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:11 PM   #15 (permalink)

Don't buy these
Attached Thumbnails
Do Beagles calm down & pulling on a lead issues-image.jpg  
Old 01-14-2013, 02:11 AM   #16 (permalink)

Shelly, am interested in how the Illusion collar works with Aston, because I read in a few places online (including Caesar Milan's site) people posting that it doesn't work with Beagles. Also, it says on his site that it shouldn't be used for puppies, which doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, 'cause isn't that the time we're trying to train them? Bella is nearly 6 months now and is dragging me into trees, so we need some help. How big is Aston and what size Illusion are you using? Thanks!
1BeagleHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:11 AM   #17 (permalink)

Have you tried a slip lead with a hilti lead as well (I'm not sure if they are called the same in the US) Brynn is getting on great with them. They only real way you will learn how to handle your dog is obedience classes. This will ensure you both get everything you need

JaakeTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #18 (permalink)

I was looking for a comfortable and well-made slip lead or Hilti today, or the Caesar Milan Illusion. I can't find anything except the chain-only slip leads that don't seem like they'll slip easily. They seem as tho', once tight, they won't release. I am going to have to order something online. We're not in the U.S. so not a lot of good options in pet products and no obedience classes. If I wanted to train her to hunt rabbits, or be a guard dog, there are classes for that. Otherwise, we're on our own.
1BeagleHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #19 (permalink)

This is the only no slip collar I will use. You adjust it to slip over their head but it will not choke or slip off. Once you see one you'll see what I mean.. They are awesome. http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2751399

Do Beagles calm down & pulling on a lead issues-imageuploadedbypg-free1358203032.400173.jpg

Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #20 (permalink)

I got my slip leash at
www.cherrybrook.com
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement