Best feeding schedule/amount for 4-5 months? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Best feeding schedule/amount for 4-5 months?

I hope some of you will share your pups' feeding schedules and also tell me your opinion of the right amount of food for Bella, who is 4.5 months old. We've had her less than three weeks. We're feeding Purina Pro Plan Puppy, 60 grams (about 1/2 cup) 3x/day. The vet's recommendation was 50 grams, 3x/day. We tried 50 for two weeks and Bella was eating too fast -- literally less than 10 seconds for the whole serving -- and sometimes would vomit, so we decided to split each meal in half and give the second half after 10 minutes. That stopped the vomiting but not the extremely fast eating, and Bella still checks her bowl constantly and hangs about where the food bag is, so we decided to feed her 60g/meal. Now I'm afraid that's too much. She poops 3-4x/day, and we are trying to break her of the disgusting habit of eating her poop. We are house-training now and usually at 7am (pre-breakfast) she will poop outside, but on subsequent walks throughout the day she won't, and then goes inside on the paper. If we're here we can pick it up before she eats it, but when we're not here and at night she eats it. I need to know if I should be feeding her less, or same amount but fewer feedings, and also what schedule works best for preventing her from going during the night. I'm afraid if I feed her too early, she'll be too hungry to make it through the night. She's already ravenous at 7:30am after dinner around 7pm. Thanks!
1BeagleHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Feeding

Rocky gets fed 1-1/2 cups for breakfast which is anywhere from 5:15-6:45 and he eats again around 6:30-7:45 in the evening. Most beagles eat fast anyhow so just make sure you give enough. You have to be careful not to over feed.
Rocky'sDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Best feeding schedule/amount

Thanks for sharing Rocky's feeding info with me! So he is getting exactly twice the amount that we're feeding Bella daily. She is 4.5 months old. How old is Rocky? I'm very curious about this because I'm already feeding her about 1/4 cup/day more than the vet suggested. Am I not feeding her enough? Am I feeding her too much? This vet is highly recommended but she seems VERY strict. I don't want an overweight, unhealthy dog, of course, but I hate to think that she's going hungry.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Solo used to eat very fast. i fixed it by spreading the food out on the floor and by putting a rock in his bown(so he had to eat around it) he gets almost 2 cups a day at 16 inchs 40lbs and 2 years old. he is very lean, can feel his ribs, and see them when he runs. I like him this way, he is also fed a high quality food. So I end up feeding him less then store/walmart brands
LAD85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default how much to feed & eating too fast

Thanks for the reply! I like the rock in the bowl idea. Bella has slowed down a little bit, maybe feels more secure about the availability of food, so I think we're making progress. Also, we're teaching her to wait away from the bowl (sit-stay) until we give permission (take) and that seems to calm her a bit too. Finally, the vet said at the last check-up that Bella is thin, so we've increased and changed her food. At 5 months, she was on Purina Pro Plan Puppy, 60g 3x/day, and now she's on Royal Canine, 70g 3x/day. The vet said it's a myth that puppies need "puppy" food until 8-12 months. Not sure about that, but we're trying it.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Amount really depends on the food being fed. Each brand has a guide according to age and size. Better quality foods cost more, but you feed less and there is less waste to clean up.

I hand feed my puppy several times a week...

1. He can't inhale his food.
2. I put a few pieces of food in his bowl at a time. He must look at me, before any gets added to his bowl.
3. It helps eliminate the risk of food aggression. The hand is giving him food, not taking it away.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

I also hand fed Cassie which trained her that I controlled the food and to not "bite the hand that fed her". I also fed Purina Pro Plan puppy until 6 months then went on adult which the vet agreed with. The vet said puppy food makes them grow fast. At your dog's age I was feeding 3x/day about 1/4-1/2 cup each time. That being said I must have the most picky Beagle eater ever..she only eats 1/2 cup 2x/day now at age 11 months which seems to satisfy her. She eats slow and gingerly which has always been her style.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hi Tobey gets 70g per meal and we feed him 3 times each day as this fits in with our cats feeding schedule.

He does wolf it down like he's starving so we bought a bowl that has bits sticking up in it so he has to eat around them. This slowed him down a bit.

He will always try to sniff out any crumbs of food and would steal anything he can reach but my understanding is that beagles are just a greedy mischievous breed.

Last time he was weighed at the vets he was 10.5kg but that was a month ago and I think he has grown a bit since then. It is very difficult to get them to lose weight so understand you being cautious about how much to feed.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Twinkle993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Best feeding schedule/amount for 4-5 months?-imageuploadedbypg-free1357255894.882465.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Twinkle993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Twinkle, Tobey is so cute. How old is he?
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement