10 yr old Beagle, peeing in the house when I'm at work. - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 10 yr old Beagle, peeing in the house when I'm at work.

Hey, I found your forums through google. I adopted beagle from a family who had kids and didn't have time for him anymore. His name was Admiral. I changed it. His name is Westbrook. This is him.
However, when I first got him, he wouldn't go to the bathroom, at all. Finally, I guess he got comfortable and was going outside. He had never gone in the house before.

I was sick for the past couple of days, and now that I'm back working normal 8 hour days, he's alone for approximately 5 hours a day. He's gone in the house each of the past two days. I take him out immediately before I leave, and I want to take him out when I come back. I don't understand why he does this. I read online that he is angry that I'm leaving him, I hope that's just it.

My question is how do I stop him from doing this. I really do not want to crate him. I don't yell at him. I give him treats when he goes outside.

Secondly, What's the best thing to use to get the smell and stain out of my carpet?

Enjoyed lurking your forum the past day or so, thought you all could help me. Thanks!
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thank you so much for giving him a home! I love his name too.

Dogs don't pee because they are "mad", it usually is from nerves/anxiety or a medical issue. Do you have a room that you can close off with a baby gate? If you do, that might help alot with his anxiety plus keep him in one area in case he does have an accident. I keep my girls gated in the kitchen with the TV on, their beds and toys are there for them. If he still continues to pee you might want to take a sample to the vet for testing for an infection.

I use Nature's Miracle for cleaning, I think it works good. Petsmart carries it.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. the TV thing is something I read about. I am going to try that. or at least something.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Oxy Clean pet stain remover works well too. I even used it to get red wine stain out of my carpet. Is your dog drinking lots of water? Could be a medical problem or adjusting still to a new home.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Clairebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

He is drinking water. and I doubt it's a medical problem. He never had this problem with his other family.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

My guess would be he's probably in a state of shock at this point after being part of a family for some time then being thrown out, and on top of that being called a different name... he's more than likely very confused and feeling unwanted to some degree. Don't expect miracles overnight, he needs time to adjust.
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Isabella, I think that's part of the problem. The name thing, he responded to very quickly. We gave him treats when he responded to his new name. So, I don't think that has to do too much with it, but the new family thing, very possible.

Good news today though. We left the TV on, even though he didn't go #2 today when I took him out before work, he did not go in the house. So, we have progress!

Curious though, I'm worried about him drinking water while I'm at work. Is it wrong to take his water bowl away to prevent even more outbreaks?
Old 12-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

That's good news that you made some progress. I really think he is lonely and nervous but will settle in with small things like having the TV on. You really shouldn't pick up his water bowl especially due to his age. They won't drink more than they need. The only time I pick up their water is if they have been vomiting.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollys Mom View Post
That's good news that you made some progress. I really think he is lonely and nervous but will settle in with small things like having the TV on. You really shouldn't pick up his water bowl especially due to his age. They won't drink more than they need. The only time I pick up their water is if they have been vomiting.
Good to know. We've had zero incidents since I've been leaving the TV, even though when I take him out before I go, he doesn't go #2... So, it's a start. Man, he loves to run up and down the stairs though, most funnest thing.

I appreciate all the advice all of you gave. It has helped!
Old 12-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yay! So glad he is settling in. Beagles can definately be funny and silly, that's why I love my 2 so much.
Advertisement