Won't stop pooing in her crate! - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Won't stop pooing in her crate!

Hi everyone.

Brodie is doing well, peeing outside (no accidents for ages), doesn't bite or nip, behaves, has been trained very easily. But...and it's a big but, she won't stop pooing in her crate. I have tried everything: making the crate smaller, taking out the puppy pad, giving her a plastic bed within her crate, changing her feedings times...and nothing has worked. I am at the end of my tether and quite honestly I don't think I can face much more of cleaning her crate. She doesn't just poo and leave it alone - she smears it everywhere: round her bed, in her water bowl, over all the toys, then gets it on her paws and smears it over the wires cage walls.

If it's a good day she does it once, when I get home from work I have to clean. On a bad day it's morning after night and when I get home.

I am deluded in thinking this will change and this is just an inevitability of me being out during the day?

Hubby's about 1 week away from giving her up because I am so down about it. And I love having her, I just can't take much more crate poos.

Help?
Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 11:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sounds like she is very bored and the "decorating" is entertaining...or she is acting out of frustration. Is it possible to NOT crate her but pen her in an area like a garage or yard for the day so she can have more space?

My dog gets bored with the many toys she has but the bones like antlers and cooked marrow bones can keep her busy chewing for a long time. If you put one of those molded plastic kiddie pools filled with her things she can lie down and play and sleep in it in the penned area...that's what my dog does during the day. I put old sheets and towels in it to make it cozy.

Does she poop in the morning before you crate her for the day? My dog sleeps the nite in the crate and wakes about 6am and goes out and pees and poops right away. Maybe feed her in the evening so she poops early in the morning.

I don't know but maybe even change the food...?

Good luck
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

She has lots of toys, kongs frozen with peanut butter, rawhide bones etc so I don't think it is that.

If I pen her, is she not more likely to poo as she'll have room to do it and move away?

She eats Eukanuba which is expensive dry food and it does her well as she has had diarrohea with other stuff. It says to give her 125-150g a day, so I feed her half in the morning at 6 before I take her for a walk, and she poos, then half at 4pm when I am home, before she goes for another walk - and she poos providing she hasn't already done so in her crate. Would you recommend feeding her once a day? How often/much do you feed your beagles? Brodie is 5 months old now.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi, Maisy is now 16 weeks. When I fist got her I crated her and for the first week she did exactly the same evry night when I put her in the crate, Each morning I would get up clean her, the crate and everything in it., It took a good couple of hours as the mess was in all the wires of the crate. It got me really down as evryone had said that a dog would not poo in their crate so I thought it was something I was doing wrong. After a week I couldnt take it any more and moved her bed to the kitchen and got rid of the crate. Now I had one puppy pad at the opposit end of the kitchen. I know people will say this was wrong as it doesnt promote toilet training but ever since that night I have not woken up to a poo covered puppy! she went on her pad, left it alone and got back into bed and slept. she also started sleeping through rather than barking and howling during the night. I leave some music on for her and a dim light and am so glad I did this. I know people will tell me that it was the wrong thing to do and if I had kept with the crate she would have eventually settled down but you have to do what is right for you. Obviously be carefull if you have elctrics and things in the kitchen as you dont want her chewing through them!
Laura and Maisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think that during the night, taking her out of the crate would be fine, but during the day, she needs to be crated because I am gone for so long and she would wreck the kitchen!

I don't think she bothers about being in her crate, there is no separation anxiety. She goes in very happily, doesn't howl and doesn't howl and bark through the night, so I don't think the crate bothers her.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hi Hazel
I threw out the food question just to have something for you to think about. However my dog is a total confusion in the food/eating department. As an example she did not eat for a 1 1/2 days this week...she smells and snubs the food...that being said I have tried everything, canned food, human food, kibble and multiple brands for the last 8 months. Sometimes she eats twice a day or sometimes once a day. I have thrown away more food then she eats. She is not at all a chow hound like some describe. Some times when she eats with gusto I think..wow I've found the right recipe...then next time she leaves it..

Despite the above she is healthy and active.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

That is odd Cassie! Brodie will eat anything, but I've found that she is prone to diaorrhea with a lot of things so I'll stick to Eukanuba.

Last night and today, I took her puppy pads away and made the bottom of her crate her entire bed with a blanket we use in the kitchen, so that it smelled of us. She didn't poo last night and she didn't poo today.* It may well be a fluke but it made me really happy. Tomorrow she'll probably poo all over the place!

* In her crate I mean! She pooed outside in the morning and afternoon.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

I know some will probably disagree with me, but when my dog was doing this, I finally gave up on the crate. Again, I'm sure some will disagree with me, but I felt that my dog hated the crate and saw that eliminating in the crate resulted in getting out of it so that it could be cleaned. She would have a poo in her crate immediately after going outside, so it wasn't like she didn't have the opportunity. My dog also had severe separation anxiety and the crate seemed to make it worse.
Now when we leave her, we just leave her loose in the house. I know that probably wouldn't work for everyone, but she honestly doesn't hurt anything and has never had an accident while we were gone. I think the crate was just stressing her out.
(I'd like to add that my dog was a 2-3 year old rescue dog when I got her, not a puppy, and she had a lot of issues about being left alone, etc.)
doggiemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement