Will my little girl stop begging!! - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Will my little girl stop begging!!

I feed my girl scrambled eggs for breakfast mixer and meat for lunch and either grilled salmon or grilled chicken for dinner but she continues to beg for food when we are eating she eats better than both me and my husband but she continues to try and steal food although it's not an issue with us when our twins are eating we are on edge making sure she doesn't try and steal any food we all love our baby and she isn't going anywhere but any help would be appreciated

Sent from my iPad using PG Free
Sarah8481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
MJS

Yup. She's a typical Beagle.
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Try not to feed the dog human food and if the dog is a year old or older only feed her twice a day. Regardless what you do beagles will try to eat all of the time, they are chow hounds. I give mine rawhide chews to occupy them while we eat to keep them occupied. You have to be consistant and let the dog know when you are eating they must stay in their place.
btomlin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yes my beagle is the same way. She wants to eat anything I'm eating. If she is in a different area of the house and she smells something or hears the microwave, she will come running.
She gets dog food in the morning and evening and treats before bedtime (only if she has been good).
The only way I can stop her is to totally ignore her. Then she will lay down behind my chair and hope that I will reconsider.
If she is really hungry then she will bang on her empty food bowl. If I do give in and give her some people food as a treat, I make sure it is plain cooked meat (i.e. hamburger, chicken, pork) or plain starch like white bread or potatoes.
Beagles love to eat. If they had it their way, they'd eat 24/7.
TBolewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hi,

I agree, unfortunately that's one of the many lovable traits of a beagle! My Roxy is 2 1/2 and would kill if she thought she could get a crumb. We feed her twice day, however she will leave her food if she thinks there is the possibility of human food.

I also have twins and she is always scavaging around them. We have to turn the bin towards the kitchen wall (its a press lid) as she found out really early that if she touched it with her paw, it opened and she could climb inside!

When she was young, someone told us to leave a sandwich with a terrible filling so she could get it (the philosophy was that if she steals something it tastes horrible, but if you give her something it tastes nice), so we made her a mustard sandwich and left it on the dining room table - she ate the lot, smacked her lips and begged for more -

We have snow at the moment and I found her digging a hole at one point when I took her up the fields - all for a small crumb of food. My family keep joking that we must be starving her!

p.s. she learned to beg at an early age without anyone teaching her.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

If I sat a hog trough full of ANY kind of food where my Beagle could reach it, I believe he would eat until he exploded! He always acts starved! I think it is a Beagle trait! And he's not picky-he'll eat ANYTHING!
Dawna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement