Attention seeking! - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Attention seeking!

My boyfriend is away for a month so it's just me and Porthos at the moment. It's been 2 weeks now, and she's been a nightmare!

She's trained - no problems with toilet training, she sits, begs, stays, shakes hands all on command. She's excellent at sitting and staying to wait for her dinner or to be let outside... but she's usually a little mischievous - she'll run off with a sock or a shoe, not to chew them, but just because it's fun and it might get our attention (we never reward bad behaviour, just take the item off her without a fuss and walk away). It's very clear that she knows what's okay and what's not okay...she does this hilarious swoon and drop when ever we catch her doing something naughty.

So normally, she's pretty good...her mischief levels are low enough to just be amusing.

Well, the past two weeks have been very different. I've been taking her for extra walks, and her "grandparents" have been taking her for really long walks every couple of days as well. She's had bones, toys, a kong...and I make sure I play tug of war with her for a while in the backyard every day too.

But she's been so naughty! She's been picking up anything she can fit in her mouth and taking it to the backyard - clothes, shoes, books...anything! She's even worked out how to open the kitchen draws and empty them of their contents (see photo). And instead of swooning when she's caught, her tail starts wagging furiously and she runs around the backyard like a crazy dog. The moment I'm doing something which doesn't involve paying attention to her, she'll throw herself onto her back and start thrashing about, snorting, grumbling and howling.

I think she knows full well that she's being naughty, and she's doing it purely to get my attention or to let me know that she's not happy that I made her daddy go away (haha...because it's obviously my fault).

So what can I do? There's only so much attention I can give her throughout the day. She's driving me a little bit nuts!

">
ourveryownporthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 12:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

wow what a pup u have she looks like the cutest puppy ever do u ever notice that your beagle is smarter than what u may give her credit for. My little one is mischievious too but in a totally different way try throwing a ball around in your back yard for her give her more stimulating games to pla with u,she may be getting bored even try getting her to interact with children she may like it fr a change
pilon.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Is it possible that the behavior is due to the fact that your boyfriend is away who may be the alpha in the house? and dog doesn't think of you as the "boss"...lol
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

DISCLAIMER: I'm *NOT* a dog trainer or expert but. . .it's possible that your Porthos (great name, and a gorgeous dog too btw) is "acting out" based on what she sees as a catastrophic change in her living situation (she has no idea your bf will ever be back, after all). So I have two theories: Either she is testing you, to see what she can get away with, or she is expressing her frustration by destroying stuff (my dogs tend to make lovely messes if they are left alone and unrestrained too long).

Either way, she needs to know it's NOT okay. Discipline her just as you did when she was a puppy. If she's just testing you, she'll stop when she realizes there are consequences. If it's the second choice, it may stop when your bf gets back (or it may not if she has gotten away with it, so be firm with her).

Good luck and keep us posted on how she does!
Hsaiotei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

Sorry it's taken me a couple of days to get back to this!

Cassie - When my boyfriend is here she usually behaves for me more quickly than she will for him. For example, if we're eating dinner on the couch and I tell her to sit and stay she'll do it fairly quickly and give up trying to get my food...she's a bit more pushy with my boyfriend, though I think that a lot of it is because he's not so clear with his commands. My boyfriend is her favourite, she loves him, goes nuts when he gets home! She'll rough and tumble and play with him on the floor, but she doesn't seem as interested when I try to do it. He's the fun one. He also lets her lick his face, and I don't....I'm so boring

Hsaiotel - She's certainly missing him, and I do think it's acting out; she probably thinks it's my fault that he's gone away and she's showing me that she's not happy! I've been consistent in my methods of dealing with it when she's naughty and she's actually been a lot better the past couple of days...though that may have something to do with the very hot weather we've had, she's just been sleeping the whole time!
Old 12-04-2012, 05:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Spoke too soon...she destroyed a load of music books and DVDs today. I don't even know how she managed to get them off the shelf. And she's never shown the slightest interest in that stuff before. It was the moment I started playing the piano (and thus couldn't have her snuggled up to me the whole time), that was it, DESTRUCTO BEAGLE!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement