bored beagle? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default bored beagle?

Hi everyone, Chewie is almost 14 weeks old! Things have gotten better since the beginning but we still have some concerns.

We are trying not to crate him so much when we are home, but it's really difficult because he gets into so much trouble when he is out the crate. He has so many toys to play with (we try to rotate so he doesn't get bored of them), but even when we're attempting to play fetch, he'll suddenly jump/chew on our couch and furniture or our sleeves. He'll settle down with a deer antler or nylabone for a little bit, then after a while he'll get up and start jumping on stuff and chewing on furniture again. Obviously we can't leave him alone in a room because of this, meaning we have to crate him if we want to cook dinner etc. He's not a fan of walking, and when we put him out in the yard, he just runs back to the door, so not sure if it's an over-energy issue.

He's usually out of his crate for maximum 1.5 hours before he starts trying to bite us. We assume he gets this way when he gets tired, so we have to crate him to get him to sleep.

I just wish we can watch tv quietly with him out of the crate while he entertains himself with his toys, or at least sit on our laps with his chewtoys long enough for a whole episode of tv. I can't tether him to me when I do housework either b/c he would have a field day with my pants/socks. It's like he can't keep his mouth shut!

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Last edited by beagleme; 11-28-2012 at 12:12 PM.
beagleme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Chewie (perfect name!) has what we used to call "alligator mouth" when Bella was a puppy. She was a HORRIBLE puppy. Bite bite chew shred rip tear. If she bit us, we'd "yelp" and correct ("eh eh eh"). When she bit/chewed inappropriate things, we'd correct. I used to hug her and tell her, "Someday you WILL be a good dog." Now she's a GREAT dog, but it was a long, frustrating process.

He WILL outgrow it. . .just stay consistent so he knows what is expected of him.
Hsaiotei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Nic

Sounds like my pup Odie! Odie is now 6months old, and slowly getting better with the chewing of sofas,beds,feet and hands! He will bring his ball back when playing fetch,but if he drops it before he intends to he will immediately bite what is closest to him,be it a hand,sofa, DVD,anything goes! Defo crate him while cooking as it will keep you calmer, I would rather do that with mine, but he is crated most of the day as I work in a school. If there is a safe area outside, I would leave your little bundle of joy and excitement outside for longer, even if he wants to come back in after a few minutes,I would ignore him, sometimes they need to be outside and to occupy themselves so they can 'play' and entertain themselves without the need of you being there to play with them. It's definitely a frustrating time, it's constant here with mine, always wants the bin and always wants to get on the sofa! Grrrr!! We will get there! Keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Nic

bored beagle?-imageuploadedbypetguide1354122379.779964.jpg

Here he is,trying to dig and chew his basket! Oh the joys of a beagle lol!

Old 11-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

How much time would you say your puppies are out of their crate? Because of our work schedules, right now we're adding up to maybe 5 hours a day out of the crate. We try to leave him in his playpen in the house to play by himself if I'm trying to do housework but he'll go crazy because he sees us and wants to be with us. He would end up peeing in the playpen out of anxiety? So back in the crate he goes.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Nic

My beag comes out of his crate at about 3:30pm, then in again at about 10pm. I would have him in there for bit longer but me a d boyfriend are in disagreement with that! Lol

Old 11-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic View Post
My beag comes out of his crate at about 3:30pm, then in again at about 10pm. I would have him in there for bit longer but me a d boyfriend are in disagreement with that! Lol

Wow - that's great! I imagine you don't watch him like a hawk during this 6/7 hour stretch? What does he do most of the time? Did you have to 'train' him to behave during this period? How much freedom does he get while out of his crate?

Thanks!!
Old 11-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Nic

To be honest,when he is out of his crate he is a rascal! He likes to jump up at kitchen bin or table or chew table leg! He spends all of his time out of his crate with us (myself,boyfriend,and son) in the Iiving room playing fetch,or he has his toys or blankets which he moves from living room to kitchen and back again! He goes outside to 'play' for about 10mins at a time,but as beagles do, he loves to dig,so we watch him and call him in when he starts to dig. We are aiming to get a fence put around our patio area so he can't dig the grass,this is gonna help lots as I know he needs to be outside more than he already is.
bored beagle?-imageuploadedbypetguide1354130043.114319.jpg
We gave him a coat hanger to chew which seems to be lasting longer than some of his toys,this seems to help with the teething issues!

Old 11-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Nic

He only has access to kitchen,living room and garden. He only comes upstairs when I need to get some laundry or take a toy box upstairs as I can't trust him to be on his own at all

Old 11-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

hi i am a new beagle owner and my little beagle is the complete opposite of most of stories ive read on this site.Maybe its because she has a friend to play with i dont know,may i suggest that when the owners go out try leaving toys out and leave a stereo or tv on for ur little one and play with them often this works for my babygirl zoey. It might be a problem also because your beagle is so young that the hunting instinct just takes over
pilon.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement