Seizures - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Seizures

So my beagle Jack has had 3 seizures within the month. We took him to the vet and they put him on Zonisamide 25mg, three capsules, twice a day, so six per day. He is 29 pounds, heavier than the average beagle from what I've been told, but he's tall and long so he doesn't look it. Anyway....I am iffy on giving him this because it seems like a lot and I know the vet recommended it but I'm just worried that something could happen. Any suggestions or tips or just help at all?
peteknok06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

A lot has to do with what causes the seizures.

Sophie had a series of seizures 'all of the sudden'. She had badly abused before she found us, and I was concerned that the head injuries she had suffered had caused the seizures.

Our vet had us keep a diary - of any aspect of Sophie's life, and of seizures.

We found that her seizures were triggered by stressors on her body: one followed her breaking into, and devouring, an entire bag of cat food. Another followed my teens having a vociferous arguement over who would take her out - after, apparently, she had been asking for over an hour.

We changed things. For example, as soon as she asks to go out, she goes. The cat food is under lock and key, and the cats are fed in a room that she has no access to. If there is a major storm and she is frightened, she is placed in an inside room with one of her humans, and music is played to help drwn out the sounds of the storm. We are extremely careful of what she eats and how much.

So far, so good - it has been months since any incidents.

How bad were the seizures - did they last a long time? What does the vet think caused them?
ljas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement