Question about house training new beagle - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Question about house training new beagle

Hi everyone;
I'm hoping for some advice. We have a "found" beagle, female, between 1-2 years old (possibly beagel/basset mix). She is not spayed, not chipped and not really house-trained. She's generally good - but does have 1-2 accidents in the house pretty much every day.

My dilemma is that she does not like to pee in the backyard. If we take her on the leash out front, or on a walk, she pees. If we take her in the backyard, she just keeps running back for the door. I have to take her on the leash in the back to keep her walking around the yard, and even then she stubbornly doesn't want to pee. If she does eventually pee, I pat and praise her and reinforce the words "go pee", so she'll recognize the words later. When she pees on a walk, I do the same thing.

I can't think why she doesn't want to pee in the backyard. We do have two other dogs (male) who pee back there. And the grass is more wet/muddy in the backyard than out front. She could be afraid of the dark back there in the morning/evening, but she does the same thing during the day as well.

Any ideas?

thanks!
/ann
AudreysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Sounds like you are doing things right, sometimes it just takes a bit of time for a new dog to learn the routine of your house and what is expected of her. If she pees out on her walk try to use the same exact words that you use in the back yard. Same words, same praise. Molly took quite awhile to really get that I wanted her to pee in the yard, she kept coming back inside and peeing in her crate! Then one day she just got it. Until she is house broken you may want to limit her access to all areas of the house so that she is within your sight. Then if you catch her having an accident you can get her right outside.

This site might give you some tips ASPCA | House Training Your Adult Dog
Old 11-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks so much, Cheryl.
The crating is going so much better (not a bark out of her today when I put her in while picking up my daughter). She just went in and sat down, and not a peep out of her. When I let her out 15 minutes later, she just trotted out as if nothing had happened. I find it hard to believe that this is the same dog that I had such difficulty with to crate a week ago!

The backyard continues to be a struggle, though. We had some snow for the weekend, and things got much better. She didn't seem to mind peeing in the snow, and there were fewer accidents. Now that the snow has melted back into the mud, it seems we're back to ground zero.

I'm trying to limit her access in the house, but the open concept layout makes it difficult to close off areas other than the bedrooms.

I guess I'll keep plugging away!
AudreysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement