Europe - USA Airplane Flight. Dangerous or Not!? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 04:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Europe - USA Airplane Flight. Dangerous or Not!?

Hello. This is the first time I'm posting here even though I have been reading this forum for a while.

I am writing this because I am very afraid of the next big step my Beagle and I are going to make.

I have a 10 weeks old Beagle named Smudge (because of his ..smudge on this mouth).

I must travel from Romania (Europe) to Seattle (USA) in about a month -because I'm changing my domicile - and I am frightened about what might happen to my little puppy.

The papers and the vaccination is and will not be a problem because we have already started working on that; the problem is how this young puppy will take the flight.

Unfortunately, he is a bit too tall to stay in the airplane's cabin with me.
I do not know what's worse - to squeeze him in a smaller bag underneath my chair or to buy him a comfy cage but have him be sent to the luggage compartment for 12 hours.

At this moment my flight plan looks like this:

Bucharest (Romania) - Frankfurt (Germany) aprox 3 hours
Frankfurt (Germany) - Las Vegas (USA) aprox 12 hours
Las Vegas (USA) - Seattle (USA) aprox 3 hours

Plus the 3 and 7 hours wait in between the flights

I am not sure how he's going to take the 12 hours in the airplane at such a young age (3 months and a half)

I have already started training him - by leaving him alone everyday, for a few hours, in the cage; hoping that when the big event happens he will be willing to take it better.

Do you have any advice?
Is Beagle a resistant breed to temperature changes? ( I know that the airplane might be colder - especially because I'm traveling in the winter season)
Will my puppy be tranquilized during the flight? Is it required or is it optional?
Has any of you experienced flying with your pets? How did it go?

I have heard about the risks for the airplane flight but this is the only solution - some people tell me that the flight is usually accidents-free because the airplane companies do not want negative marketing, some people tell me that the airplane companies' employees do not care about animals and treat them like bags.

Here is my big-eared-heart-nose-puppy

evulsive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

First, welcome to the forum with your good looking fellow. The 12 hour flight is going to be bad. You should talk to a vet about a mild sedative for Smudge. If you can get Smudge out to walk during you lay overs that would be great. Best of luck with your new best buddy and your new home.
btomlin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

I came with my beagle to the USA in 1998, he was almost 10 years old then. Whe came Bp-Frankfurt-Los Angeles. He came as cargo. Survived.
But.. I never do it again, try to put your dog in a smaller bag, at least you can walk between flights. I wish you good luck and a smooth travel
Old 11-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

I suppose that, if I let him go by cargo, they won't give him to me in between the flights?!
Old 11-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

No, he will go with the packages .
I didn't feed my dog a day before and on that day he did't have water.
Still when arrived he peed in the crate.
I'm also afraid the crate gets open and beagles wonder.
Now when I'll travel I try to bring him on board.
Your beagle seems to be small , can you take him on board?
Old 11-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have not done this type of flight with a dog, but I have heard that sometimes you are allowed to visit with your dog on layovers if he/she is traveling cargo, so I think it's best if you contact your airlines and ask all your questions. They have offices specifically for animal transport and those will be the people who can help you. I would also suggest (as someone did) that you ask your vet for a very small dose of something to help keep your puppy calm, because stress will be the worst part of it for him. You are doing the right thing to get him used to being alone before the trip, but it's good if you already have the airline-approved travel crate so he can get used to his own crate before the trip. Good luck!
1BeagleHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

@kutyuska Indeed, my beagle is very little; but, as I have mentioned before they only allow cages as big as 55x40x20cm (22x16x8 inches). His height -at 2 months and 2 weeks - (in shoulder) is already 22 cm ( 8.6 inches ) which means he won't be able to meet the requirement "the dog to be able to stand and to turn".
Though I would love to take him in the cabin.

Last edited by evulsive; 11-23-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Put him in a mesh carrier, that's what I did when he was little.
Baggage handlers usually don't care about pets. I heard about accidently opened door, stealing dogs...
When I traveled with my late dog he got some medication from the vet for the trip but I won't do it again, didn't do any good, he was a zombie.
This is my opinion, other people have other opinion.
When are you traveling?
Temperature in the cargo place is not the same as it is in the cabin.
Airlines say it is, but I know it is not, my son works at an airline.
Look around on the net, there are several mesh carriers.
Update pls, what do you think?
And yeah, I forget welcome on bw, your baby is beautiful))
Old 11-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you for the compliments kutyuska!
I will go this Sunday to the airport and ask everything directly at the desk.
I reeeaaallyy hope that they will let me have him underneath the chair (at least for the 12 hours flight).
I am leaving Romania on 3rd January 2013 at 6:20 and arriving almost 24 hours later in Seattle.
I will do everything I can to take my puppy in the cabin because I know how difficult it's going to be for him. I promise this will be the only time he will ever have to fly in his life and I hope he's going to take it well.
I am not a fan of airplanes myself (the longest flight was 9 hours and I thought I'm not going to make it) but to think that he will spend 12 hours with the luggage really worries me.
I already have a carrier (link) but when I have called the airplane company they said that zipper is not allowed, it must be plastic (waterproof material), with nails etc etc - so my carrier didn't match their description. I was thinking to try to sneak my dog in but that's also wrong - especially if I get caught in the last minute and it would cause even more problems for my puppy.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

First of all your puppy is adorable!

My puppy at 8 weeks and 5 lbs traveled across the US and to be honest I was an emotional wreck with worry. My puppy didn't eat or drink for several hours prior to flying. The airlines have strict rules about air temperature, crate size and type, etc and are usually posted on their websites.

My dog traveled in cargo and the crate was the hard type and locked. She was not sedated but was checked by a vet prior to the flight. Are you making all the trips right together? any time between like a day especially before or after the 12 hour flight? I really think if the dog travels all those hours one after the other it seems too much. Maybe you can do some travel in cargo and some in cabin. This will take some coordination with the airlines.
Good luck and let us know you how it goes.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement