"Found" Beagle - Found our Hearts - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default "Found" Beagle - Found our Hearts

Hi everyone;
We found a young female collar-less beagle (or beagle/basset) in traffic on a very busy country road last weekend. We scooped her up and spent the weekend canvassing farms and properties on the 3 main concessions in the area. We left flyers for anyone not home, and spoke to as many as we could, was she theirs, did she look like a neighbour's dog, etc.

Vet says she is between 1-2 years old, not spayed, not chipped, but in good shape. She wasn't muddy so I don't think she'd been wandering the fields much, and she wasn't too hungry so I think she wasn't out for too long. Trouble is, the farmers in the area say that this area is notorious for people dumping their unwanted pets.

We have 2 Brittany Spaniels already (11 and 6), and they are both males. They seem to like the new member of the pack, and play with her, although I need to watch closely (she is very small and they are boisterous when they run around). They seem a little sad that there is a new baby to fuss over, but we've been spreading lots of attention around everywhere, and putting it on thick!

I work from home a couple days a week, and have spent all of this week at home while she is here. I have one dog curled up next to me, and the others claim other seats in the living room. Whenever I get up, a small parade goes with me, and when I return to the living room, they rotate through the seating order. too funny!

If her family cannot be found, then we are going to keep her (what am I thinking! 3 dogs!) There's no way I'm sending her to a shelter. She's wormed her way in very easily! And it actually is fine - other than extra expenses, she fits in really nicely. I'll need to get her spayed and chipped, of course, once I'm confident no one is searching for her.

So sounds ideal, right? Almost. She can't stand to be crated for even 5 minutes. Everyone has to go out without their dogs sometime, and its a huge process to get her into the crate (with treats and bribes, and catching the escape artist), and then the barking and howling once she is inside. The other dogs are loose when we are out, and are quite well-behaved, but I can't trust Audrey just yet, she can be mischievous and is a bit mountain goat as well!

Anyway, any advice would be very much appreciated. We've had dogs forever, but I've never had a beagle before and don't have any experience with them

Thanks for any advice!

/ann
AudreysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I sure hope you get to keep her! My Vazzle is a beagle/bassett that was dumped in a "kill shelter" down south. Luckily she was transported to a shelter near me and we found her. She definately was trained to hunt. We think someone used her for puppies and then dumped her.

Crating can be really tough for some dogs, especially rescues. What I do is use an extra tall pressure mounted baby gate and the dogs are kept in the kitchen. It seems to be acceptable to my beags that won't tolerate a crate.

You can also work on crate training which does take some effort but it can be done in many cases. This info might help:

Crate Training : The Humane Society of the United States
Old 11-21-2012, 09:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks so much Cheryl; we'll keep at the crate training for a while, but if it doesn't fly, we'll try your gate suggestion. We used to use a gate at the bottom of the stairs to keep the Brittany's in one part of the house while we were away, so we can always revert to that too.

I think she was definitely not someone's pet. She wasn't familiar with a leash (although she's doing really well at that), doesn't seem to be reliably house-trained, and she didn't know how to sit, or what a squeaky toy was for. She's sure got the hang of squeakies now, and she's even started to Sit for a treat. (it helps when she is third in line, and the two boys have had to sit for their treats first.... kind of reinforces the whole thing. And we lived through house-training with the boys, so it will be easier with her, I think...

It hard not to get too attached. We're only 5 days in. But I'll be devastated if we don't get to keep her. The lady in the pet food store says there have been a lot of dumped dogs recently because there has been quite a crackdown on the "designer" back-yard breeders.

Thanks again! I'll post how the crate-training is going....
/ann
Old 11-21-2012, 09:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

oh, and much thanks for the link!
/ann
Old 11-22-2012, 06:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Welcome to the forum, I have fairly recently taken on Phoebe who was only 9 weeks old when i got her. From a rather undesirable man who told me she was deaf. Truth is she isn't completely deaf and we believe she was badly mistreated in her first few weeks of life. That is the reason I didn't even try to crate her like I had with Buddy my first Beagle. I am working with the tall gate scenario whilst i am out. With lots of distractions and things to chew it is working fairly well.
Good luck and good for you.
It sounds as though it was meant to be.
I am certain Audrey will give back the love you have shown her tenfold... Beagles are good at that.
BUDDYTHEBEAGLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks so much for the advice - is your avatar picture Buddy and Phoebe? What a great picture! This morning is going well - she actually slept in her crate last night (with the door open, her choice not ours), and she went into the crate this morning while I dropped off at school. Of course she howled and barked for the whole 10 minutes of the drop-off, but it was better than the escape and coax of yesterday. We'll see. There's no time limit on figuring this out....
Old 11-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Oh, and Buddy's mom or dad; good on you for taking on Phoebe from her terrible situation, and with a hearing problem to boot. Some little ones have such a hard start, its fabulous that you were there to rescue her! Many wouldn't take on a dog with some challenges.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you. She took one look at me and I was hooked. I have 5 sons and everyone loves her.
BUDDYTHEBEAGLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement