Walking our Beagle - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Wink Walking our Beagle

Hi Everyone,

We are the new owners of a 4 month old beagle. We got her at 10 weeks. I would say we are very fortunate with our beagle and training. She has great progress in potty training ( no accidents in about a three weeks), has slept through the night since the very first night. She is very affectionate, loves people, and plays well with all the other dogs at the dog park. She has already got a few of the basic commands down wel, (sit, lay, stay, come, paw, high five, roll over, and is even doing well with fetching). She has her active puppy moments and we do not full trust her yet, but overall we love her and her progress.

With all that being said, she hates going on walks!!!! We literally have to drag her for the first three to four blocks before she gets into the flow of it. There are even times that she will fight us in the doorway not to go out.

There are times when she is no a problem going on walks, but most of the time she will resist. As far as we can tell it does not depend on the weather, time of day, etc, just her personal desire. (when she resist, she does not bark or chew on the leash, she just sits down or she pulls backs)

Anyone else experience with their beagle, any suggestions?

Thanks
ncox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 01:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

My 17 week old is the same. I have to to coerce her for about 100 metres and then suddenly she'll start trotting along happily. I think she is inherently lazy and would much rather snuggle but then when she sees she's not going to win she gives up. Doesn't matter what the weather is, doesn't matter time of day, she just has to be pulled and commanded till she can't see our house anymore.

Sounds like you've got a similar beagle!
Hazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

I found that if i just took milo on the lawn at first so he got comfortable, then we slowly would go down the street. and now we go on hour long walks and you cant stop him.
Also made it easy to teach him not to go on the road unless on a leash
Good luck!
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement