Winter coats? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Winter coats?

Hi everyone! I'm new here. I just adopted a 4 year-old beagle (Max) a few months ago. We live in an apartment, which means he gets lots of walks every day--both for exercise and necessity. So...winter is coming, and it gets cold here in Minnesota. Already, we've had a couple of very cold (20-30F) morning walks. I've noticed that Max doesn't like water or cold very much, yet he needs to go on a walk, due to our not having a yard. I had to buy him a raincoat this past month, which I hated doing, but it was the only way to get him out the door when it was wet out. Now I'm looking into winter coats. Does anyone have any recommendations? The ones at Petco don't seem very warm. And I've been looking at Foggy Mountain, Chilly Dogs, and Voyagers K9 apparel for coats. They're all pretty expensive, though, and I'm on a tight budget. Help?
Hachacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

I live in Florida but Im a New Yorker in heart so I know about that cold. I haven't ever put coats on any of my dogs before, though they were pit bulls and they can stand the cold. Anyway I haven't experience that type weather with my beagles. I suggest maybe looking into eBay or amazon. It's worth a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Felice29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I kind of use the rule of thumb with my dogs that if it is sub-zero, icing, or bitter bitter cold I would put a coat on them. Beagles are pretty tough, even though they might not like the rain, they really enjoy the snow and chilly weather. You can find coats at most pet store that should meet your needs if you want to get a few for your beagle. Doctor Foster and Smith has a good selection too Dog Clothing: Stylish, Functional Clothing for Dogs
Old 12-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi, I have a 7 year old beagle-mix and live in Chicago. It gets cold here but not a cold as in Minnesota. I found a Fleece coat that is easy to put on. You put the front paws through it and it fastens with Velcro down the back. It keeps my dog very warm. I found it at my local pet store and I don't feel that it cost that much. Plus it is machine washable.
The rule of thumb that I use is if it is cold enough to walk with gloves on, I put my dog's coat on. This is normally below freezing.
TBolewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

I live in Ottawa, Ontario where some days can get to -20 (Celsius) or colder. The only time I've ever put a sweater on my beagle was one year where we had a week of -30 weather & didn't want her to go a whole week without a walk. I do however put booties on her paws if it's -18 or colder or else her paws freeze & she ends up walking on 3 legs.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Clairebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

We were -10 last week and Roxy was bouncing in the snow like Tigger, she loved it!
Advertisement