Nail cutting - Page 2 - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 01:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

if you want to clip your pups nail i would try messageing her paws for a while a couple of times a day until shes use to you touching her paws then it might be easier to trim her nails with clippers i got this tip from a tv show and the vet another thing u can do is have them walk on pavement alot their nails can get filed down that way too

Last edited by pilon.m; 11-30-2012 at 01:15 AM.
pilon.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

I have the same problem with my 7 year old Beagle Mix. Going on a long walk (2 1/2 miles) on sidewalks and asphalt does the trick for most of her nails. It doesn't help the declaws (inside nails on her front feet). All she has to do is see the clipper and she runs for the hills.
My vet is is the only one to take care of it. I put her head in my chest and he quickly sneaks up from the side and clips her declaws. The rest of her nails are normally short enough. If that doesn't work it takes myself and a couple of vet techs to restrain her so the vet can clip the nails.
I can rub and massage her paws with no problem. It is when she sees the clippers that I have a problem. I wish that there was an easier way.
TBolewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

I personally have only had luck with the guillotine type clippers. My other Dog, Brigid, has always been very good about sitting and getting her nails clipped, which is good because she has BLACK nails! Dillon, the Beagle is one who does not enjoy it but I bribe him with treats. He knows he'll get a treat if he allows me to trim his nails. And thank GOD his toen nails are WHITE so I can easily the blood vessels!
Dawna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

Our 5 year old will absolutely not allow any clipping of the nails whatsoever. Even the vet had a difficult time with her.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Pbs1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks all. I would love if we could walk on asphalt and then I wouldn't have to cut them as often but unfortunately we live in Northern Ontario meaning we are snow covered for4-5 months of the year (at least) and we live in a small town with a lot of dirt roads. But I have figured out a way to hold her where she can't move and then someone else cuts her nails.
Hunter Ruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement