can't play with puppy out of playpen :( - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default can't play with puppy out of playpen :(

Hi everyone, our Chewie is 11 weeks old tomorrow!

We're having difficulties moving him out of his playpen/crate because he can't calm down when we try to cuddle him in our family room on the couch or on the floor. We try to distract him with toys, but he would rather bite our foot, jump on our leg/couch/coffee table, chew on our furniture, and get extremely excited and destructive. We thought walking him would get rid of some of that excess energy, but it doesn't seem to be working (he whines the whole 20 minutes we're walking!). So instead, we've resorted to squishing ourselves in his playpen to cuddle him and keep him calm.

We tried to put him in the playpen with his toys, water, and crate door open, but he would go insane in there, growling and digging to get out. The only way to calm him down is to put him in his crate and close the door. We really don't like crating him for most of the day, but it's like he doesn't know when he needs to calm down and take a nap!!

Are we doing something wrong? Our lives have been so stressful because we can't have him going insane in his play area if we ever want to try to leave him alone. We both need to go to work and we can't keep up the insanity of trying to work around his naptimes.

Any suggestions??? We're getting desperate!
beagleme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

This may not work for everyone, but it worked for me.

Bella did not like the crate and would howl endlessly when she was in it, so I bought a 20 ft. tie-out cable and ran it from the front porch railing under the front door, which gave 6-8 ft of free cable in the house. She was right in the living room with us at all times (where we could watch her, most importantly) and she was able to get up on the loveseat for a nap or look out the window.

She was tied when we were eating, or sleeping, or not home, or sometimes when we just needed a break from a puppy charging around underfoot. The older she got the less we needed to confine her, and now she is never leashed indoors unless we have company who aren't comfortable with dogs crawling all over them, or if we have just washed the floor and would like it to dry without her tracking all over it.

We used the same method with Annie--never even tried the crate--and it worked well for her too (though, after potty-training, we did have to have the carpets professionally done). The upside of that was that all of the accidents were in the same area and not in random places all over the house.
Hsaiotei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Have you tried taking him out of the pen and keeping him on a leash? If he has a harness and leash on you could correct some of those behaviors and at least keep your furniture safe. He is still so young and learning alot. I would sign up for a puppy training class, then a trainer can observe both of you together.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Your baby is only 11 weeks, my Beag is 9 months and I can't let her free in the house yet. We have 2 folding pens attached to each other in our dining room that can extend to 32 feet x 48" high. We are constantly going in and out of it. She has free access to a large patio which is also enclosed. We got a tie-out post and put the spike in the middle of our backyard lawn. I do like the idea of using the tie out line in the house I just have to figure where to attach it so she doesn't drag the furniture with her (lol). She is very friskie still. She's going to doggie camp next week to run off some energy. We are looking forward to the day she can go around the house and be more with family but right now she just bounces on and off the furniture and goes crazy.
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement