Sleeping habits of our Beagle - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 02:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sleeping habits of our Beagle

Hi there,

I am looking for some advice regarding the night time habits of my Beagle.

We got Our beagle at 8 weeks and for the first week he slept in his crate in our bedroom. We got up every night at around 4, left him go to the toilet, and then put him back in his crate and he would sleep another two or three hours. There was no whining or crying, in fact he would willingly go into his crate at night by himself.

During his first week, we had great progress with toilet training, and when in the flat he will use the puppy pads by himself, which is great.

Three nights ago we decided he could sleep in the kitchen, since he takes himself to the toilet. So we moved his crate into the kitchen, closed the baby gate, and went to bed. It worked like a dream, he slept right through, and even used the pad in the middle of the night.

However the past two nights have been hell. He has howled, whined and cried from about 3am onwards, last night it was for three hours non stop.

We are stumped as to what it would be. He has food, water, his chew toys, teddy bears, bones, toys everything. It's not toilet issues because both nights he has used his pads.

Is it too early for a 9 week old to be sleeping by himself? Should we move him back into the bedroom?? Any ideas, thoughts, solutions, advice or remedies would not only be appreciated by us, but also by our neighbours, who I suspect won't take much more if it.

Murphy
Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Puppies apparently don't learn to bark or howl until 8 weeks plus so he may have found his voice, ours sleep in our room but that's because I am a softy, however hot water bottles do work.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Michelle 1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

When we got Buddy a year ago night times were hell for the first couple of weeks as my husband refused to have him upstairs otherwise I may well have given in, Phoebe is a breeze because she has Buddy.
Stick with it if you can stand it. Buddy was so clever that if I gave in for a second it would just prolong it..
Try a hot water bottle or the radio on really low but to be honest none of that worked with Buddy, it was just a matter of time. Beagles are so stubborn and he is seeing who will give in first. As painful as it is make sure its not you.
Ear plugs for the family might be an idea.
Good luck
BUDDYTHEBEAGLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Beagle is 9 months now and have had her since she was 8 wks.She sleeps in her crate with the door latch closed and the crate covered so not to have her looking around. In the beginning I would get her out to the pad every couple of hours during the night ( not much sleep for awhile). The time gets longer that the dog can hold their pee. My dog now will sleep from 7:30 pm to 6 am (ish).
Maybe your dog's crying is because he thinks he's alone when he gets out to pee. If you were to let him out to pee every few hours, give him a little pat and a small treat in the crate and close the door he will settle down. I say "goood giiirl" when she goes into the crate. I also put a warm towel that I have tossed in the dryer a few minutes.
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement