Going on a "rescue" today - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Going on a "rescue" today

Going to pick up this dog today from Annie's breeder. She's a full sister to Annie but younger. Apparently she, too, is painfully shy, like Annie is, and needs a family who understands that. I'm a bit conflicted. I know that giving our Bailey up was the right thing for her--they wanted her so badly and will take great care of her--but I don't know if this new dog will ever be suitable for another home, if she is as shy as Annie. We're taking Annie and Bella along to be sure they get along of course, and they are great with other dogs in any case, but if anyone can give me pointers on integrating another dog into the family who is not a baby puppy, I would appreciate it.
Hsaiotei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Its good that you are bringing the other dogs along when you get the new dog. When you get them home, walk them together outside and let your dogs bring the new dog into their home. Good luck!
Old 11-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Brought home not one dog but TWO. Rachel, the puppy, is very timid but she WANTS to like people. Have not paid any attention to her at all, I'm waiting for her to come to me. She did eventually work her way over to the couch next to me and seems happy there.
The other dog is Rachel (and Annie's) mother. Her name is Ruby. Ruby is a darling. She wants to be loved so much she cries when you pet her. Her papers say she was born 4/2010 and she has had four litters of puppies already. She is also morbidly obese. I couldn't leave her there when I saw her.
So far, no problems at all. They did the butt-sniffing thing for a few minutes and that's about it. They were fed at the same time with no problems. Chewies were passed out with much chomping and no arguing.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

That is wonderful news! Thank you soooo much for taking them both. Sounds like you have a happy beagle family
Old 11-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you for your kind words, Molly's Mom. Hopefully my daughter comes around a bit, she thinks we have too many, but I say, if we can afford to feed them and they get along, what's the problem? :-)
Old 11-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I agree. As long as you have the time for them and the money for food etc. that is what matters most. We are thinking of adding a 3rd. We used to have two greyhounds and Molly..two huge dogs and one little beagle! My greys both passed away and we ended up with our 2nd beagle.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Whereabouts in NY are you? Because I can probably help you find one that needs a home if you're close by, seems like it has been raining beagles around here lately.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Why keep supporting a breeder who is breeding a poor temperment
LAD85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

Supporting who? She doesn't have any females left. She gave me the last two because they needed a good home and I don't plan to breed them.

And their temperaments are excellent. Rachel's shy yes, but that's at least half poor socialization. Ruby is great, she loves everyone. You see I had "rescue" in quotes, because I didn't buy these dogs, I took them in.

Yes, she'll probably get another bitch and do it again but she would have done that anyway and at least these two are safe.

Last edited by Hsaiotei; 11-07-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement