First week - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default First week

So I just got dexter on friday night. He needs constant attention as he is just over 7 weeks old. I left him once for 2 hours and he was crying when I came back. I am at work now and he will be left on his own from 8am to noon. That will be the schedule this week. The next two weeks I am taking off. Another week back to 8 to noon. Then my girlfriend will be off for the summer to look after him. I hope he begins to adjust to being alone after this come September.

Any tips or recommendations would be great.
I let him sleep with us in bed (which I know some will bark/howl at. lol). But he sleeps perfectly and lets me know when he needs to go outside. Just don't want him in his play/pen crate all night then all day.

When I go to work we take him for a walk first then put him in his 16sq foot playpen with a crate inside. We put his food/water, toys,crate and news papers on the ground for him.
mybeaglebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hi fellow Canadian! The "constant attention" thing doesn't really go away but there are worse things in life than adoring your beagle puppy!

Recommendations (what's worked for us) in no particular order:
Expect him to cry when you're gone, at least for the first week or so. As hard as it is (and it can be heartbreaking), don't go back to soothe him, even if you're still gathering your things and he can see you. Keep in mind he won't necessarily be crying the whole time you're gone, just when he knows you can hear him; I've set up a video camera on a few occasions to see how long the loneliness lasts and Benny's down to two minutes of crying, then goes about his business, and starts up again as soon as he hears the key in the door!

Having a tv, radio, or white noise machine helps keep him from reacting to every noise that passes by his ears.

Even though he sleeps in your bed (something we do too though I'm just as *ashamed* as you are! ) keep his crate nearby whether you're home or not so that he is accustomed to having it to go to.

When you leave, say the same thing every time in a normal voice (Benny gets "I'll be back" whether I'm leaving for five minutes or five hours). Give him something he really loves that he only gets when you're going away.

Expect accidents in his pen for at least a few weeks. Puppies just can't hold it very long, period. The best reaction is no reaction whatsoever, clean it up and focus on housetraining when you're around.

The biggest thing is:
Don't give him attention when he's crying, even if you've just gotten home and are as excited to see him as he is to see you! Distract him without making eye contact and only let him out when he stops crying, even if only for a moment (watch out for those gasp-for-breath pauses!). First stop should be his potty stop (we learned this the messy way), THEN make a fuss in whatever way you'd like him to greet you. For our Benny, he has to sit and be quiet behind the baby gate, then out to the yard, and he doesn't get pets or attention until he's gone pee. But then he's snuggled like crazy!

One that we SHOULD be doing but just can't bear to - it's worth at least trying on your part!
When you're home all day, keep to the same kind of schedule as when you work: Put him in his pen just as you would on a working day and take him out later. This way he's accustomed to spending time without you even when you're home (seriously, you need time to yourself and if he can't keep himself amused you don't get anything accomplished). If you just can't stand it and have to take him out or even just talk to him, resist the almost overpowering urge to croon and console him because that will just be encouragement. A calm, assured voice and direct attention only when he's quieted down do a better job of reassuring him than anything else. Added bonus: come the end of your time off, and then September, he won't have to readjust all over again.

These do work. When Benny came home at 9 weeks old, he'd whine and howl when we left him, whether it was to work or just out of his sight. Sometimes he'd go without stopping for 20-minute stretches at a time. Usually at least one roommate is home so he knows there are people in the house who *could* give him attention. At about 16 weeks he had quieted down quite a bit, whether people are in the house or not, and he generally sleeps for the entire afternoon while we're away.

Hope this helps at least a little.

Last edited by Mrs. Archer; 06-05-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Mrs. Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jon

I agree with Mrs. Archer except we let Charlie sleep with us and I'm not ashamed. He'll be 2 in August and is the greatest thing that's ever happened to us (besides our children) He doesn't have any accidents in the house and protects us constantly from killer rabbits and squirrels! He loves to fetch the ball and go swimming, hiking and running with us. Consistency is key with beagle training and lots of attention and love. One good thing about leaving them home for 4 - 5 hours is the look in their eyes when you get home!
Attached Thumbnails
First week-118-2-adj86.jpg   First week-070-2-adj86.jpg  

Last edited by Jon; 06-05-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Good advice. Thanks. I really think keeping him in their while we are at home will make him calmer in the long run.

On a side note. how do you get a profile picture up? I try to edit pictures and it only gives the option to set a picture as a album cover.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

found it. Thought for sure if would be in the edit picture option and I was missing something (picture size). After some searching found it in the user control panel!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement