Uti - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Uti

Has anyone ever dealt with a UTI with your beagle? Lily was staying with my mom for 8 days while we were on vacation and was acting funny when we got back. She was crying when she pees and she peed in my mom's house 3 times on Friday. I took her to the vet today and they said she had the start of a UTI as well as an ear infection. They gave me cleaner for her ears, and anti biotic and an IV fluid bag I have to administer the next few days. They gave me the option of having her stay with them or do it myself. Since it only took a few minutes to have the fluid administered I choose to do it myself. They did it for me today but tomorrow morning I will be on my own.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 01:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

You can do it! I think Lily feels better at home , with you.
I wish her and you a speedy recovery. Poor Lily, I hope she'll be painless soon.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I have dealt with UTI's many times over the years with my hounds. Was she severely dehydrated? I have never heard of having to use IV fluids for a UTI. Usually I just get them some antibiotics.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Well we don't really know the vet thought it would be good to have her push fluids. I was on vacation for 8 days so she was staying with my mom who also has a dog and my mom didn't pay attention to how much water was consumed as they both shared from the same bowl.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

FLuids is the main stay of a healthy bladder, liver and kidneys.
Antibiotics will flush the bacteria growth causing the infection, fluidss are the preventative for furture ones and also help flush it.
Kibble can dehydrate.
The type of water can be suspect as well.

Also vaccines and pet food in china can be suspect.

Also spays can be suspect.
Prevention is Kinder then Destruction. Spay and Neuter. BE EDUCATED. If you breed, breed RESPONSIBLY 8,109 homeless beagles on Petfinder right now. Why are their breeders not stepping up? http://www.wonderpuppy.net/1breeding.php
Research, All I can do is open new doors for you to explore. Act and buy responsibly, your choice is the future of the breed. http://www.learntobreed.com/

New Vaccine standards! Miss Bones 2002-2010
brandypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah she was staying with my mother and I have the feeling she didn't drink as much as she should have while she was there...I love my mother but I think I need to find alternative places for Lily to stay on extended vacations. My mom can't walk her because of health issues and while my nephew was supposed to help he didn't. On top of it she was over fed my mom likes to give treats far too much. Also my mom does not like to let either Lily or her dog sit outside for long she stands at the door and watches them and lets them back in right away whereas here Lily is used to being outside on the leash for several hours a day plus she is used to 3-4 walks a day.

On the plus side she seems to be doing much better. She still has a few days of antibiotics left yet but she has already shown great improvement. She doesn't have problems going anymore and has her spunk back again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement