tall beagle? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2012, 05:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default tall beagle?

Hi i have a 6 month old beagle called Dougie, my vet commented that he was tall for a beagle? I have just measured him and he is 13" , is this tall for his age? he certainly looks like a "full beagle" ( he doesn't have papers)
At what age do they stop growing? It doesn't matter to us if he isn't fully a beagle as he is the most gorgeous dog and we love him but just curious.

Many thanks
Charlie
CharlieRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 06:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

People have commented on how big Buddy is. He is almost 8 months now and he hasn't got any taller since he was 6 months. He is just filling out now..
BUDDYTHEBEAGLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

As I understand it, there are actually 2 varieties of beagle- one that generally ranges between 13 and 16 inches, and one that is under 13 inches. Austin is a tall boy at around 18 inches, and we've had several people saying that he looks like he has "show beagle" lines.
Austinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

In England I have seen a lot of people selling "Pocket Beagles"

All the different breeds make me laugh.

Cockerpoo - Cocker Spaniel / Poodle
Labradoodle - Labrador / Poodle
Bullsh*** - Bulldog / Shitzu

You get the picture!!!!!!
BUDDYTHEBEAGLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Where does one measure from-to?
Absolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hello,

You measure your beagle when standing on all fours from the pad to the top of the withers (shoulder).

You really can't tell the final size of your beagle until he has stopped growing, as some beagles can grow very gangly while others just grow gracefully and the same can be said for the length of a beagle's ears.

Most of my beagles have USUALLY all been fully grown by about a year BUT their has been a couple of exceptions to the rule.

The ideal height standard varies from country to country and often can change over the years, in Australia the current standard is 13 - 16 inches.

The height of a beagle who has "papers" only becomes a problem if they fall outside the standard designated height for the breed when you are showing them in conformation shows. As you can not "show" Dougie it doesn't really matter what size he is just as long as you LOVE him.

Take care now

Jewels

Last edited by Baylee Begals; 04-11-2012 at 01:34 AM. Reason: The words were not essentially to the reply.
Baylee Begals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Standard Beagle height is 13-16 inches, though the Pocket Beagle has become popular as well, they are below 13 inches.
There are some other hound breeds that look a lot like Beagles, though they are really an entirely different breed. I believe there are 3 sizes of hound that all look nearly identical. The Beagle being the smallest - the other names have escaped me at the moment.
My Maci is 8 and a half months old and she has not grown much in height size around 6 months. Still grows in little spurts now and then, I don't notice but people who haven't seen her in a while do. And she definitely has some filling out left to do.
MaciMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

Dog Owner's Guide Profile: The Beagle

Beagle physique

The Beagle is a well-muscled, small-to-almost-medium-sized dog with a keen sense of smell and a wanderlust that can lead him into trouble. He comes in two sizes — under 13 inches tall and 13-15 inches tall. Weight for the smaller dogs is 18-20 pounds; for the larger dogs is 20-30 pounds.
The standard allows “any hound color,” which includes tri-color (black, brown, and white), red and white, lemon and white, and tan and white. Solid white or tan is possible but very rare. The color pattern can include mottling, ticking, or grizzling.
The Beagle's soft brown eyes are probably his most appealing feature. One long gaze into the eyes and the potential owner is likely to become an actual owner, for the breed has mastered the trick of looking as if he doesn't have a friend in the world. Ears are long — but not as long as the Basset's. When pulled forward, they should almost reach the end of the nose; when at rest they should tip over and lie close to the head.
The Beagle's compact body is longer than tall. He carries his moderately-long tail like a flag above his back, providing a marker when he follows scent through tall grass.
Beagle coat is hard and short but sheds. It is a double coat, with fine undercoat and coarser top coat; it is generally thicker in winter and sheds most heavily in spring.
Prevention is Kinder then Destruction. Spay and Neuter. BE EDUCATED. If you breed, breed RESPONSIBLY 8,109 homeless beagles on Petfinder right now. Why are their breeders not stepping up? http://www.wonderpuppy.net/1breeding.php
Research, All I can do is open new doors for you to explore. Act and buy responsibly, your choice is the future of the breed. http://www.learntobreed.com/

New Vaccine standards! Miss Bones 2002-2010
brandypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement