Is pouncing like a cat normal? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2011, 10:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is pouncing like a cat normal?

OK, this is our first beagle so perhaps this is a common trait, but does your pup pounce on his/her toys like a cat? For example, if something is under a blanket and we make it squeek, she will literally arch her back and pounce on it, over and over again. She looks just like a kitty! It's the funniest thing and we all roar with laughter! lol

I honestly have not had so much fun with a puppy in all my life. I had always thought beagle pups cute, but had heard that they are dumb and bark constantly. So far we are finding that that couldn't be further from the truth. This dog is smart!!! And she only barks when she needs something or she's playing with the other dogs. She IS loud though...ear piercing loud(LOL)...but she doesn't bark all day long. In fact we can go an entire day without a bark. Now grunts, little mewling cat like noises, and loud sighs and pathetic whines, yes. But barking? not so much.
Melissa in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2011, 10:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Lily still pounces on stuff. That goofball could be laying on the couch one moment and go tearing across the room into her toy bin pull out a toy throw it on the floor and then pounce on it from across the room and then roll on it and throw it up in the air. There isn't much she doesn't pounce on. She especially likes to pounce on her raddishes when I give them to her. She has great fun with those and will usually play with them for 20 minutes or so before finally settling in to eat it lol.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

LOL! So, I take it pouncing is normal bagel behaviour. =) What a cute, quirky thing. Now, if we could just eliminate the UNcute quirky things....like chasing my pant leg, grabbing it and thinking we are playing tug of war. Endlessly. Jumping up into my raised garden and pulling off my tomatoes, jumping on all of the side couch tables like a cat looking for food, trying her best to tear all of the leaves off my house plants, trying to get into the trash every single time she gets into the kitchen, etc, etc, etc. I'm exhausted.

She's doing GREAT with house training though!
Melissa in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Lol welcome to the land of Beagle owners! I am a first time Beagle owner and you sound just like I did last year about this time. Lol some days I wanted to pull my hair out she was lucky she is so darn cute. Some of the stuff gets better with consistent training..but beagles seem to love to find trouble no matter how well they are trained..I think that's what makes them so great :-)
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

My beagle and my cat play together and they pounce at each other!
monte1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

Baker does it too! Especially with treats We call it Kitty-Puppy
baker'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

lol, my beagle and my cat are so funny. they often play together. I think they has become friend
MJsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

I hope to goodness Mixer never stops pouncing on her toys, its about the cutest thing ever. She doesn't do it much as when she was a puppy but every couple of days she will spy a "new" toy and then its attack!
Old 08-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

My beagle does everything you mentioned. And, tug of war is his favorite activity! I too, want to pull my hair out, but that face is too cute to be mad at for long. They do remind me a lot of a cat. He sits on the top of the couch like a cat and pounces on his toys too. He likes to pounce on his treats too. So strange My Charlee definitely had me from hello!
Charlee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement