How are Beagles best trained? - Page 2 - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

My dog responds well to treats when trainers are offering them. Suddenly, to him, they are delicious. When I offer treats, he turns away. This behavior is baffling to me.

I've been wondering if trainers have more exciting and interesting smells than I do, or if they are just more fun than I am. Regardless, I've bought 4 different kinds of treat and I've tried cheddar cheese and nothing motivates Jesse to respond more than praise does.

A beagle that isn't greedy-go figure!
jenhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

Jenhardy...My Beag is VERY particular with the treats. She will smell it and if she doesn't like it she pushes it away with her nose. I purchased a lot of different ones and hit on only two types... chewy milk bones and Beneful Snackers. She doesn't like anything with banana, chedder cheese, or peanut butter ...but then again she is a finicky eater unlike what I have read about other beags
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenhardy View Post
My dog responds well to treats when trainers are offering them. Suddenly, to him, they are delicious. When I offer treats, he turns away. This behavior is baffling to me.

I've been wondering if trainers have more exciting and interesting smells than I do, or if they are just more fun than I am. Regardless, I've bought 4 different kinds of treat and I've tried cheddar cheese and nothing motivates Jesse to respond more than praise does.

A beagle that isn't greedy-go figure!
Almost all of my beagles have obedience classes and their CGC certificate. Two run agility and so far the best treats I've found are itty bitty(pea sized)chicken pieces with a touch of garlic and liver brownies. My hounds would sell me out for either one. With that most just love some loving too. So I give healthy doses of praise with an occasional treat. The most important thing is making the training as exciting as possible. A simple command as sit should be a joyous occasion(you should act like its the best thing that ever happened)when performed correctly.
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

I came to the game late with my boy Aston Martin. He was a year and a half when we rescued him....no training whatsoever! He was a mess, but I saw something in him. Like all others, he's motivated by food. Well, food & praise. He'll do just about anything for me & hardly anything for his dad. I think with him he likes that I make a really big deal when he does his obedience correctly. That and I think he likes how excited I am and my high pitched voice. To him it's fun and games.

He's also crate trained and does just fine even though he's an only dog child. It's his home base.

For me it boiled down to food, praise, patience, and fun. I'll also add that he is CGC certified as well. When he's a little older we plan on getting him into a therapy dog program.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
shelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

My6
What are liver brownies? And, are you suggesting that I use tiny pieces of cooked chicken as treats? I'm not opposed, just clarifying.
Thanks
jenhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #16 (permalink)

This is the recipe for what we call liver brownies. It is gross to make as putting liver in a food processor and baking these can be icky. But my beagles flip out when I make them. Just cut them up to about pea size and your in business. As for the chicken I get boneless/skinless chicken breast and cut it up to micro size. I have to keep them in airtight baggies during class otherwise the other dogs won't leave me alone. With the liver treats they will last about a week in the frig.

Dog treats
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup self rising corn meal
3eggs
Garlic powder
1lb beef liver
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease and flour baking sheet
Process liver until it is consistent as pudding
Mix all ingredients until just blended
Bake 20 minutes
Cut into squares refrigerate or freeze
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar. I feel like I've just got to bite a cat! I feel like if I don't bite a cat before sundown, I'll go crazy! But then I just take a deep breath and forget about it. That's what is known as real maturity.
Peanuts
Snoopy
My6beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #17 (permalink)

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've had my beagle Brynn for 3 weeks now. He is 14 weeks old and I had him crate trained in a matter of days.
I agree that treats are the best way to train him however I prefer to use a slip lead where possible and plenty of praise.
The key to success is consistency and just stick with it. This is the first Beagle I've owned and by far my favourite dog ever, he can be very stubborn though
How are Beagles best trained?-imageuploadedbypg-free1357858519.922125.jpgHow are Beagles best trained?-imageuploadedbypg-free1357858554.686089.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
JaakeTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement