Shedding... when does it end? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2011, 11:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shedding... when does it end?

My dog has been shedding fairly heavily for about one month now. I've been keeping up with the hair as best as I can with sweeping and vacuuming once or twice daily, brushing the dog every couple of days (I know, I should do it every day but I forget many times until it's bedtime ), and a weekly combing with the furminator. I can't believe how much fur I find throughout the house . Will shedding slowly taper off, will it just end abruptly, or what? He wasn't living inside last summer so this is all new to us. He didn't shed much at all until recently and I can't wait until we get back to that.... so much easier!
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2011, 06:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Roscoe seems to go through 2 big sheds a year- lasting 6 to 8 weeks each! and constantly looses hair between.
A ROOMBA has changed my life! (the robotic vacume) and I want a furminator- but I thought beagle hair was too short for it- and it was for long haired breeds... does yours make any difference?
sweetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

That is one thing that I forgot about with beagles. I had a beagle as my first dog and he was always shedding. Now with two beagles they are a constant shed factory. Molly seems to be worse than Vazzy for the loose hair just falling off, Vazzy loses more when she rolls around on the floor or in her bed.

I do notice that it gets heavier a few times a year. Right now it is getting hot and humid out so I assume that is why.

I use a conditioning spray for dogs that is all natural and smells nice, it seems to keep the hair on them a bit more.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Sophie sheds a huge amount twice a year. A quick brushing in the morning the rest of the time seems to take care of the problem.
ljas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

My dogs do not seem to shed enough to notice. However I just got the fuminator shampoo and conditioner and there was more fur in the tub this time so my guess is that it would work to allivate that some.
Prevention is Kinder then Destruction. Spay and Neuter. BE EDUCATED. If you breed, breed RESPONSIBLY 8,109 homeless beagles on Petfinder right now. Why are their breeders not stepping up? http://www.wonderpuppy.net/1breeding.php
Research, All I can do is open new doors for you to explore. Act and buy responsibly, your choice is the future of the breed. http://www.learntobreed.com/

New Vaccine standards! Miss Bones 2002-2010
brandypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetboy View Post
Roscoe seems to go through 2 big sheds a year- lasting 6 to 8 weeks each! and constantly looses hair between.
A ROOMBA has changed my life! (the robotic vacume) and I want a furminator- but I thought beagle hair was too short for it- and it was for long haired breeds... does yours make any difference?
A Roomba would be awesome, wish I had one. The furminator is a big help, try it. It's for double coated pets, pulling out the undercoat which is mostly what gets shed in the warm months. I love mine and can't imagine how much MORE hair I'd be cleaning up around here without it. I definitely recommend it if your pup sheds a lot. Just don't over use it. It's not a daily comb, it's just for pulling out the dead hairs that are ready to be shed. Each time I use it I end up with a pile of fur, it's amazing.

Maybe I need to use it more often, like every few days for the next couple of weeks, though since the shedding is higher right now.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

You could make a sweater!
How to Spin Yarn From Dog Hair | eHow.com

http://www.customdoghairspinning.com/
Prevention is Kinder then Destruction. Spay and Neuter. BE EDUCATED. If you breed, breed RESPONSIBLY 8,109 homeless beagles on Petfinder right now. Why are their breeders not stepping up? http://www.wonderpuppy.net/1breeding.php
Research, All I can do is open new doors for you to explore. Act and buy responsibly, your choice is the future of the breed. http://www.learntobreed.com/

New Vaccine standards! Miss Bones 2002-2010
brandypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandypup View Post
LOL at the rate he's shedding I think I could make 5 sweaters!

On a serious note, I wonder if he's shedding so much b/c he had a thick winter coat b/c he lived outside until midwinter? So I also wonder if this winter, if his coat will become as thick since he's living inside now. Does the thickness of their winter coats depend on their living conditions. It goes from quite cold to quite hot here so I guess we get both extremes in coats- thick for the cold and then it must all be shed for the high heat/humidity.

Last edited by Tucker McBeagle; 07-04-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Tucker McBeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
SFC

Have you tried anti shedding shampoos, there are a variety to choose.
SFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

No, I haven't tried them yet. Next time I make it to Petsmart I think I will try the Furminator brand. I wonder if they really work?
Advertisement