How much exercise does a beagle really need? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2011, 05:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How much exercise does a beagle really need?

So many people say 2 to 3 hours a day some say only 20 minutes morning and 20 minutes at night. I have heard so many different answers, or does it really depend on your dog? My dog went for short 20 minutes walk this morning and then in the afternoon took her out in the wood for about 40 minutes on a long lead so she could run (I can't let her off as her recall is awful and am scared she wont come back) she has now been asleep for most of the evening and will sleep all night too. She seems happy with this amount of exercise - may be it is what she is used to.
Vikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2011, 02:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

I think its 15 mins and 5 mins for every month they are old.

he/she may surprise you off the lead, ours did. We were so nervous but our trainer insisted we have to. We went to her farm and she was great. We now let her our in the fields by us to practice. We can only do it when its quiet mind, as she is still learning, but she never goes to far and will run toward you if you change direction. Its great seeing her run in teh long grass as well, she really loves it.

Not sure what your location is, but the puppy classes were near us in monmouth. Not sure if thats to far for you.
stephent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

tried the puppy training classes in Llanfoist village hall - complete nightmare too many dogs all stressed out and owners too. did one to one training over a weekend which gave me some good tips - she was chasing sheep, still don't trust her enough to let her off the lead, i know the farmer will shoot as they are in lambing at the moment and he is in his right to - she just wants to play with anything that moves!!
Old 02-26-2011, 07:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki View Post
So many people say 2 to 3 hours a day some say only 20 minutes morning and 20 minutes at night. I have heard so many different answers, or does it really depend on your dog? My dog went for short 20 minutes walk this morning and then in the afternoon took her out in the wood for about 40 minutes on a long lead so she could run (I can't let her off as her recall is awful and am scared she wont come back) she has now been asleep for most of the evening and will sleep all night too. She seems happy with this amount of exercise - may be it is what she is used to.
I can't let mine off leash as well as recall isn't great when there is a sent and I can't risk loosing him.

It depends ont he dog. Beagles are very active dogs not only physicaly but mentally as well. So they need to sniff, they need differnt things to smell, they need differnt expirenaces. the 20 / 40 walk you did daily sounds great.

With mine he gets a 15 min, 5 min, 20 min, 5,5 daily. However it's not enough for him. So I try to work in the hour walk through the woods. I also try to vary my routes to give him new smells. He goes to doggie day care 2 times a month also.
Prevention is Kinder then Destruction. Spay and Neuter. BE EDUCATED. If you breed, breed RESPONSIBLY 8,109 homeless beagles on Petfinder right now. Why are their breeders not stepping up? http://www.wonderpuppy.net/1breeding.php
Research, All I can do is open new doors for you to explore. Act and buy responsibly, your choice is the future of the breed. http://www.learntobreed.com/

New Vaccine standards! Miss Bones 2002-2010
brandypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

We all took our dog to the woods today, i went yesterday with my children, but did not have the courage to let her off the lead in case she did'nt come back. Today my husband came with us and said let her off, we let her off the lead in the middle of the woods as around the edge were sheep in the fields, anyway she had a good run and was sniffing everywhere, I kept calling her back and giving her treats which was good though i felt sick with worry in case she got the scent of a rabbit or whatever and gave chase, luckily she was brilliant she really enjoyed herself!!
Old 02-27-2011, 03:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

We let Zeppelin off the leash (Zoso isn't leashed trained yet) he does very well and will come when called. he stays within 50 feet of us, which we taught him that last summer in a large fenced in area. We go out every few hours and stay outside (he runs in the fenced in off leash dog park at my apartment complex) for about 20-30 mins, its cold right now (around 5-15 degrees so we do not stay outside much longer) but when it warms up, we go out again every few hours, i let him run for about 20 mins in the morning, go for a walk which is a good 30 min to 45 min walk, then after a few hours let him run for roughly almost 2 hours straight. the winter he gets an daily average of about 2 hours a day to run, in the summer he gets upwards to 5 hours a day!

*Shana Jo*
I am a proud owner of two Beagles.
Zeppelin and Zoso
Zeppelin is a 1 year 3 months.
Zoso is 8 weeks old.
We LOVE Led Zeppelin!
http://apps.facebook.com/dogbook/profile/view/10194264
ZoZepMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

Mine gets a one hour walk in the evening and a 30 minute walking in the morning and goes to a daycare monday to friday and runs around in a yard all day with other dogs during the week when I am at work. I weekends he still gets the morning and night walks plus an extra activity such as a walk around the lake or a bike ride... (weather permitting of course)
BadgersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

With any dog I usually work on the principle that if they are tired and want to sleep then they have had enough exercise; the only exception would be puppies who shouldn't be overwalked.

I usually do brisk hour in the morning and again of an evening with free play out in the garden. At weekends and days off we will do at least an hour in the day as well. After this mine just wants to laze around.

When the weather is dry and warm the door is always open and ours will run around for hours unless its really warm and then he just finds a spot in the sun and lies around.
west-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

We're giving Ollie 3 walks a day of about 20-30 mins, he is nearly 5 mth old, are we walking him to much do you think?
Nicollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

I had been walking Lily an hour in the morning, 1/2 hour at lunch, and then 1/2 hr to 45 minutes after supper however it's been unusally hot this summer so we generally stick to just the morning walk and then playtime in the house throughout the day to keep her occupied. From my own personal experience I can tell by her behavior if she is getting into stuff she shouldn't it's because she is bored so I try to get her more exercise. When it's been hot out we play in the house..I have discovered she doesn't like being followed so I will follow her around the house and then she starts running so I chase after her then from time to time I will stop chasing her and hide then she comes looking for me and the chase begins again..lol sounds weird but it works for us.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement