Our Beagle World Forums banner

What??? A Beagle Needing Discipline?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Smeagle 
#1 ·
Our 3yo Jack is mostly a good dog. But when the doorbell rings, he goes nuts and gets uncontrollable. It's really a nuisance to our visitors. We've tried everything short of beating him. :(

Any and all suggestions for getting him to chill out would be great. He's a typical beagle teenage boy otherwise. :)

#2 ·
Have you tried crating him when or before the doorbell rings and not letting him out until he's calm?

Have you tried putting him on leash and rewarding him with food/toys/praise when he is calm?

Have you tried training him to go to his mat when he hears the sound of the door bell - instead of thinking the sound of the door bell is a trigger to rush to the door and get pats/attention from visitors, you can teach him the sound of the door bell means rush to your bed and get a treat.

#3 ·
It's funny, but some dogs react badly to certain things - for no reason at all. When I was a child, our dog freaked out and was uncontrollable whenever the phone rang. My parents, the vet, and an unending line of professional trainers tried everything they knew, to no avail. The solution? Changing the 'bell' to a completely different sound/flashing light.

#5 ·
What do you think it is about the doorbell that gets him excited? Is it that he is excited to get pats and attention from the visitors? I'd also be asking why it is he thinks it's his right to rush to the door and greet people before you do (if that's what he does). You're the pack leader, you greet people first, and he can greet them when and if you say he can.

Do you implement anything like NILIF in your daily routines with him?

Nothing in Life is Free

Does he jump on people when they come in the door?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.