Crate Size - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2010, 03:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Crate Size

We have a 30" crate for Mixer that she sleeps in at night. Well, not recently but that is for my own selfish reasons, the only time she wants to snuggle is at night and I miss it. But next week... its back to the crate!

My question... I noticed last week when we had to use the crate during the day that she can't stretch out. She can stand in the crate, turn around, and lay down. But when she sits her head kinda hangs like she is too tall for it and when she gets out she stretches and stretches and stretches some more. And when I started thinking about it, she never lays out completely in the crate (like legs stretched behind her, etc). So I have thought about going up in size to a 36" crate, but even then I think it might be too small. Looking online it says beagles should be in a 36" crate... but she only 6 months and already 24 pounds, she is part basset hound so I think she will still get bigger. I want to buy her a new crate but I don't want to have to buy one now and another one later. Do you think a 42" crate will be too big for her, we are still working on the housetraining and I don't want to give her any ideas. I've thought about the lifestages crates that has a divider but thinking long-term, should I even put her in a crate that big when she is older? I would like to be able to leave her in the kitchen when I'm gone so we are working up to that. Heck, do I even need a large crate when what we have seems to be working? We us a petyard but since she can jump out of it we put a peice of plywood on top. But she is getting heavy and we have to lift her over it everyday to get out. AND, I want her crate to become her safe have place, right now she will go in her crate but I pretty much have to gently nudge her in there.

Gosh... can this post go in any more directions? I promise at some point I will be able to ask a simple question. Can you tell Mixer is my first dog and I have no idea what I'm doing?

Old 10-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well, we just went big from the start. We have pretty big crates, even when they were little. I just felt better about leaving them in there knowing that they had A LOT of room.

We only had a small number of accidents in them and it wasn't even an issue.
RosCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

we have always had 2 large crates as well, even though at night they still like to sleep together, in the daytime they prefer to snooze apart & both really like to stretch out & snooze & snoozing together its just not an option, my two are nearly 6 months & weigh 10kg, i have never closed my crates though so i have no experience on accidents but i would certainly go for the larger one rather than buying the next one up only to buy a bigger one later
ArthurDudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

this thread makes me feel like Haileys travel crate is too small. Does Mixer lay out fully stretched when she sleeps (sofa/floor/bed,etc?). I thought about sizing up also, but Hailey only sleeps in a ball or in the dead doggy position.
djdakine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm still torn on what size to put her in, I want her to be comfortable but I don't want to encourage accidents. She hasn't had one in her crate since the first week nor any accidents in the house, but then we dont' ever give her the chance to mess up when we are home. I need to measure her when she is all stretched out to see how long she really is, but every time i get out the tape measure she wakes up. We bought the medium crate because it said for Beagles on the outside box (and even had a picture of a beagle on the front) but everything online says she should be in the 36" crate. But she is only 6 months and already 25 pounds and i knew she has a few more months of growing before she reaches her adult size so that is why I'm contemplating even the 42" crate. I also wouldn't mind putting a crate in our bedroom so we don't have to keep moving it around. The bigger crate would obviously be her daytime place to hang out in the living room and such, which is why I am thinking of going bigger.

djdakine.... she sleeps both ways. When she really, really sleepy and at night she curls up into her little bun (we call it the cinnabon) but during the day her napping is ALL stretched out either on her back with her paws up or on her stomach with her front and back lags all sprawled out.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayone View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm still torn on what size to put her in, I want her to be comfortable but I don't want to encourage accidents. She hasn't had one in her crate since the first week nor any accidents in the house, but then we dont' ever give her the chance to mess up when we are home. I need to measure her when she is all stretched out to see how long she really is, but every time i get out the tape measure she wakes up. We bought the medium crate because it said for Beagles on the outside box (and even had a picture of a beagle on the front) but everything online says she should be in the 36" crate. But she is only 6 months and already 25 pounds and i knew she has a few more months of growing before she reaches her adult size so that is why I'm contemplating even the 42" crate. I also wouldn't mind putting a crate in our bedroom so we don't have to keep moving it around. The bigger crate would obviously be her daytime place to hang out in the living room and such, which is why I am thinking of going bigger.

djdakine.... she sleeps both ways. When she really, really sleepy and at night she curls up into her little bun (we call it the cinnabon) but during the day her napping is ALL stretched out either on her back with her paws up or on her stomach with her front and back lags all sprawled out.

Hi there! You know, Chloe has been holding strong at around 25 pds for a few months (she's 7.5 mos)now.....we have a decent sized crate for her and I think it might be considered the medium....she has plenty of room to sit up, lay down and at this point, it's mostly just her "safe place". I'm pretty sure you could fit two Beagles her size in this crate.

We were leaving her out in the kitchen for quite a few months while were gone, but she had ripped up a huge portion of our carpet between the livingroom and kitchen, and until we could let her hang around in the kitchen again, we have to fix the threshold. So she's been in her crate while we're away until my son gets home from school.....

I have heard that they slow their growth at a certain age and I thought I'd heard it slows quite substantially around 7-12 mos? , so since she's already 25 pds, I wouldn't worry if you got her the medium crate. I don't think another 5 pds would even make it uncomfortable for her. I think if I were to get the large crate that's made for bigger dogs, etc, it would be much to big for Chloe. She's had very few accidents in her crate, if any. We probably have the 36", I bet. You know, I'm sure Mixer will be fine no matter what...

And, no worries, this is my first puppy ever too - I'm a mess! We just started letting Chloe sleep out of her crate and on her "bed" in our bedroom and it's going great, she's totally staying on her bed ALL NIGHT. Although, we've bought several $10 gates from walmart (the ones for tots!) to keep the chaos to a minimum depending on what room we are in! Good luck!

Last edited by Myfave1; 10-19-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Myfave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Our full grown beagle is 38 pounds (don't worry she's on a weight loss diet! lol) and she sleeps in a 36inch crate. She has more than enough room to completely stretch out if she wants to, and to turn around. I think the 36inch crate is also what's recommended for a basset hound.
SarahMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Here is the crate we have for Lily
Amazon.com: Midwest Life Stages Double-Door Folding Metal Dog Crate, 36 Inches by 24 Inches by 27 Inches: Kitchen & Dining: Reviews, Prices & more Amazon.com: Midwest Life Stages Double-Door Folding Metal Dog Crate, 36 Inches by 24 Inches by 27 Inches: Kitchen & Dining: Reviews, Prices & more
I absolutely love it. Right now Lily is 21 lbs and fits in it very comfortable. It does come with a divider but we have never needed to use it. This crate folds down very quickly into a compact size so we take it with us when we travel and also when we are camping. It sets up and tears down very easily and she has more then enough room in it.

kathiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

The general rule of thumb is that any dog should be able to sit properly (ie hold their head up), turn around and lay out in the crate you have chosen. Anything else is too small.

On the other hand, when housebreaking, if the crate it so big that they can do their business in one corner and sleep in the other, it's too big.

There are crates you an get with dividers that you can make bigger or smaller depending upon the stage of growth or training.

At the end of the day, if your dog is spending significant time in this crate, it should be large enough for them to stretch out. My dog is 40 lbs and his crate could house a Golden Retriever.
Sullivan's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement