Fleece Jackets for the Winter - Am I nuts? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Beagle Discussion

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2010, 06:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fleece Jackets for the Winter - Am I nuts?

A friend gave me a fleece jacket he used on one of his pugs and Molly seems to really like it. We live in MN and its been cooler lately and she just shivers all of the time, so we put her in the jacket - no more shivering.

Now I'm spending lots of time "shopping" online for another one for her this winter. Also thinking maybe my big Beag needs one too (although he's almost 7 and has never 'complained' of the cold yet.)

How many of you put sweaters/jackets on your Beagles?

I think I might be becoming one of those crazy people who dresses their dog.... Stop me before I go too far. Although I'm telling myself its just to protect them from the impending cold but I think I may be trying to convince myself.
gwenevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2010, 11:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

When inside with us Roscoe is " naked" but he sleeps outside, so 1030ish his coat goes on and he goes outside to his kennel to sleep. In winter it gets down to 3 to 5 degrees C at night. I would not leave it on during the day or while hes inside.
sweetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

If you and your dog likes it , why not?
Old 09-17-2010, 08:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

I know but the outfits are so stinking cute! I want to try one on Chloe, but haven't broke down to spend the $$ yet I agree with Kutyuska, if you and your dog enjoy it, so be it! Be that crazy person and dress your pup!
Old 09-17-2010, 11:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Mine don't like them very much, but when it is really cold and we take them for walks, we put them on and they don't complain. My wife wants to try booties to protect their feet. We haven't tried it yet.

I used to have a Chiuahua Terrier mix. She was always cold in the winter and we would put a sweater on her. It it was too warm she would try to take it off. Otherwise she enjoyed it.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

We tried them but they really hate having them on. Roscoe always tried his darndest to rip it off. So much so that was all he was concerned about outside. Then we got Cole and they just helped each other rip them off and that was the end of that! Needelss to say we didn't even try with Gino!
RosCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
How many of you put sweaters/jackets on your Beagles?

I think I might be becoming one of those crazy people who dresses their dog.... Stop me before I go too far. Although I'm telling myself its just to protect them from the impending cold but I think I may be trying to convince myself.
I am in the same boat as you. I managed to snag a cute little jacket over the summer for a buck at a garage sale. I've put it on her a couple of times and she doesn't seem to mind it.

However, I do not want to be one of those "dog dressers" either. After much internal struggle, I have decided that as long as she is wearing it for utility and not for the cuteness factor, then we won't be one of "those" dog-owning families, lolololol.

Honestly, our other dog is a husky mix and he will go up to his chest in freezing cold water in the middle of the winter. If it so much as rains on our beagle during the fall, she starts to shiver. I've never had a dog with such thin fur and really do think she will need a little extra protection for walks out in the snow. (She hasn't seen snow yet as she was born in January.)
JBgirl85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

My dog loves the snow and I don't think he was cold. But he doesn't like anything on him. Even when I put the harness on him he just lays down and doesn't move anymore. I just pull him on the floor like a mop. Lol.
So I think it depends on the dog, if they like it or they are cold why not?
Who cares what other people say?
Old 09-20-2010, 04:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

I say why not. My only thought is to make sure she not overheating, like wearing it in the house.

I would like to try to put something on Mixer but she tears up everything, but I'm dying to dress her up for Halloween. LOL
rayone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

You live in MN, we live in SD.....any kind of jacket for our poochies is a great idea. I know they are covered with fur, but they are usually inside dogs, and that cold is rough in the winter time. Put the coat on, and know if nothing else, you are being a great dog friend.

Casie and Cobi's mom
cobismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement