Our Beagle World Forums banner

Bored Beagle

12K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  ljas 
#1 ·
Do any of you ever get concerned that your beagle is bored? Maybe I'm just overly concerned, but I love my dog, and I want him happy and content. He likes his toys, and loves playing fetch and tug-o-war, but sometimes I just can't play with him. He has started to chase his tail and look forlorn. Maybe I'm too sensitive. Anyone think like this?

#4 ·
Has anyone ever seen these toys?

Nina Ottosson Interactive Toys

They are toys meant to stimulate your dog's brain, and keep him engaged and entertained. The idea is that they have to figure out how to get the small treat, but it is much harder than a Kong, and there are different levels of difficulty. I haven't purchased one yet, because they are rather pricey, but my dog loves trying to figure things out, so eventually I hope to find one on Amazon or Ebay for a decent price. Sometimes I worry that he is bored as well, even though we take tons of walks, playing, etc.

#5 ·
u know what u can do? this is how i play with my beagle when i see her bored. i get a treat that she loves, and play hide and seek with it, i hide it and let her look for it. she goes crazy looking for it but when she finds it i make sure i make a big deal so she can keep playing.

#6 ·
I can so relate! I have this guilt feeling because our Beagles sleep so much. They are not interested in playing much at all. They love their walks and we go four times a day for 45 minutes each time but as soon as they are home,they stumble into their basket and off to sleep again. I have been buying rawhide bones just to keep them busy and awake recently. We have the ball that you put the treats in and they will play with that for a while.

#7 ·
Starla has moments where she seems bored as well--mainly when Eric and I are working on something around the house. We've learned to open the main blinds in the living room so she can sit on top of the back of the chair by the window. We live in a very sociable neighborhood so there is always someone outside doing something. Her keeping watch keeps her busy when we can't play with her...and she enjoys letting us know when there are some shinannigans going on outside.

#8 ·
Kenra will seem bored at times too, so I'll get out her harness to take her for a walk or run. As soon as she sees the harness she starts running around the apartment like crazy and won't let me put it on her. I have to play with her so I can catch her to put it on. If she's really bored and I have stuff that I have to get done, I'll open the patio door and let her go out there. She usually just people watches or takes a nap in the sun. I think she runs around when I put her harness on because she knows that when we get back she has to go in her crate because I usually have to go to school. I used to hate leaving her in her crate all day, but for a while I stayed home during the day to spend time with her, and all she did was sleep all day! I don't feel so bad anymore lol.

#9 ·
I used to hate leaving her in her crate all day, but for a while I stayed home during the day to spend time with her, and all she did was sleep all day! I don't feel so bad anymore lol.
Starla does that too! Anytime I have stayed home with her all she wants to do is sleep. Granted I probably poop her out because my days home usually constitute a trip to the park, but before we leave and as soon as we come home it's take a drink, climb in the chair and snooze for hours. No wonder she doesn't sleep any later than 5 a.m.

#11 ·
We have a full house so they have each other for entertainment when we are busy or not around. However, I find, they just sleep! They love their walks, being out in the front yard and trips to the dog park. But in the house they have become pretty docile. A far cry from when they were little pups!

Sometimes they appear to be "bored" but overall they are happy, healthy, spoiled little doggies :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.